First Post/ Brief Help with previously rooted DX

Last Updated: 2011-10-10 22:27:50
  1. Hey everybody (first post), I've been lurking here and scouring the web lately for someone in a similar predicament as myself, but found none. I could probably figure this out myself, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and ask the experts (you people). I don't know a whole lot about rooting. I have jailbroken countless iPhones/iPod Touchs, but this is a different league. I don't even know how to SBF (thought that needn't be explained as I can probably find a tut for that on here). I know it can't be that tough though cause I am tech savvy. Anyhow, on to the dilemma.

My situation: (also I'm on OS X)
    >Droid X running 4.5.605/2.3.3
    >Previously rooted so SuperUser and AdFree and some other old root software is still on there.I don't know if the phone is still rooted or not. It was rooted and then I just said screw it and continued to takes OTA updates, so make of that what you will. I get the hunch it is, but then again, I don't know.

The end result is to hopefully have .605 rooted. From what I've gathered, since I have had previously rooted I need to:

1.)(Back my stuff up pre-step1?) SBF .605 (to remove root and start fresh?)
    2.) root .605 via the D3 one-click method
    3.) @ what point in this process does backing up my files on the phone come in, or should I @ all? I have heard that backing up via Titanium or Nandroid will only save the state of your device/apps/etc in whatever particular system version you backed up. Meaning if I backed up on 4.5.605, those things won't carry over, which personally doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry if this is difficult to follow, TL;DR I need to get a previously rooted DX currently running 4.5.605 into a rooted state, via Mac OS X. I pretty much just need an order of operations.

Advertisement
  2. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

you will have to sbf to 602 (don't have 605 sbf) take the ota to 605 and then root using 1 click root. Check out my tutorial on the main droid x root page. It will walk through it.
  3. SimsDelt

if you want to just leave it on 605 there is a 1 click rooter for 605 for mac out there somewhere. I just don't have the link. It would save you and sbf.
  4. so, I hate to be such a noob, but will flashing an .sbf file completely wipe everything on my deivce? and what are the best/tried and true methods to backup some of my vitals on the DX before flashing?
  5. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

when you sbf it does wipe everything off the phone, and you have to remember to wipe data and cache when you are finished sbfing
  6. SimsDelt

What do you need to backup. Your contacts should be synced with google and all market downloads can be re-installed from market after an sbf. Since this is a used phone it might be good to completely blow it out (sbf) and start over from scratch so only your data/stuff is on there. Just follow my guide and it will walk you through the process, and like VoidedSaint said, make sure you follow all my instructions and "wipe data/cache" after the sbf process. It will make it so you don't freak out and start bootlooping... (don't worry, first time I sbf'd I freaked out when it started bootlooping, its such a simple but overlooked step)
  7. Well what I need to backup is mainly photos... I know apps/contacts/calendar/etc are all backed up on el Googs servers so I guess I'm not that worried, I'm just anxious that once I SBF, I'll be like "oh shit I wish I hadn't deleted 'x'".... it's no biggie though. I just need to take the leap.

I think this is the best solution for my issue right now: Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

I agree that it is best to SBF and completely wipe it, since it's had a year or so of consistant use and a breath of fresh air will revitalize the device probably.

I would follow your guide, but I am using Mac OS X hence alot of those instructions not applying or working for me. I have to properly SBF first, but once I am @ that step I will use your guide gladly. I rummaged over it to get a feel for what needs to be done, so all in due time.

Thank both of you and the whole androidforum community for being so welcoming/helping/user friendly.

I'll get back here soon with an update on my status.
  8. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

I'm on a MBP and i use the live cd to sbf all of the time. I like it better than RSD.

I run VMFusion with a Win7 build on it to do the root process.

Are you familiar with virtual machines?
  9. SimsDelt

Can't help you on the Mac SBF... trophy might be able to... but your pictures won't be deleted during a SBF... they are on the sd card and it isn't touched during an SBF.
  10. trophynuts

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ootable-linux-cd-soley-sbf-headache-free.html

follow these instructions from the link above.

Live CD Instructions (Mac):
    Download 1KDStaz0.x.iso
    Use Disk Utility (built in) to burn iso file to a CD (instructions)
    Shut computer down
    Hold c key, push power and hold c untill you see the Linux OS start
    Hit enter at the yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
    You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start

I have sbf'ed on my MBP many times using that method. Never had one problem. As for rooting i do that on my windows Virtual Machine i have loaded.
  11. OK.... I attempted to SBF on a WinXP machine via the SimsDelt method. I must've ****ed something up because now when I go to make calls it redirects me to some Verizon wireless collect call BS. The phone does appear to have been reset. I used RSDLite, (the system was 32bit so idk how the whole drivers situation may have affected it), but besides that followed the instructions to a tee. The first time I did it, it said FAIL in RSD, so I ran it again and it worked the 2nd time. I forgot to wipe cache data after it auto-booted, but then shut down, wiped cache/data, battery swapped and rebooted and now I am where I am currently..... any thoughts? my phone is pretty much worthless till I get some help here.

UPDATE: I called *228 and re-programmed my roaming settings, this will likely fix the issue.

Once I get it back to normal I'm going to do the method trophynuts refered to. I saw that method earlier and tried it with a USB, but it didn't work on my Mac or WinXP upstairs so I went with the tried and true Windows method...
    Just gotta get a blank cd for the linux method.
  12. trophynuts

trust me the live cd is awesome on a MBP. You don't have to worry about drivers at all. In fact if i was still using a Windows machine i would probably still use the cd.
  13. I will be doing the live cd process later today.

I am somewhat familiar with virtual machines. I mean I know what they are atleast. It's pretty much running an OS within another OS. I attempted to install the trial of VMWare Fusion, but it was kinda a pain in the ass. Is there not a pure os X method to root? I am almost certain I saw one.
  14. trophynuts

the thing with VM Fusion is you get only a 30 day trial. I had no problems with it.

You could use VirtualBox which is free.

As far as the OS if you don't have a copy of Win7 to put on a virtual machine you may have better luck putting a copy of ubuntu on a VM. Since its free and then it may allow you to run the rooting tools you need to.
  15. trophynuts

16. Trophy, should I have my DX USB set on "charge only" before I boot up my MBP with the burned .iso? or have usb debugging? or does none of this matter since that disk probably overrides most of that BS?
  17. VoidedSaint

trophynuts likes this.
  18. Should I update OTA to .605 before rooting, or will that lock me out of certain root services/ ruin my .sbf or mess up the root process?
  19. trophynuts

my method i used was to accept the OTA 605 then root. or you could root .602 and install this

[ROM] Stock-Rooted-Deodexed 4.5.605

your choice.
  20. What's the difference? I don't know what deodexed means... is that ^ pretty much a .605 with root?
  21. VoidedSaint

De-odex: Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.
  22. is it possible to take the OTA .605, root, then install the deodexed version?
  23. VoidedSaint

yes, that is actually recommended

or you can take the ota, root, then install a custom rom