• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First post - few questions pls!

liserdl

Lurker
Jan 21, 2011
Hi this is my first post.

OK I really dont like the iphone and id like an android but unsure what to get - i can research that from now onwards.

My questions are this - I live between Japan and Europe and sometimes travel to USA. Do all or most android phones come with the ability to change SIM cards?

The fact that the Japanese dont really use SIM cards, (to the best of my knowledge) sort of complicates things but in essence if I bought a pay as you go android i can just insert the SIMS when I am in different regions right?

Thanks for helping me get my head around this!!

My questions are this - I live between Japan and Europe and sometimes travel to USA. Do all or most android phones come with the ability to change SIM cards?
All? No. You need to check the specs of the devices you're shopping. GSM devices are what you're looking for but make sure the frequencies you need are supported as well. Not all Androids are GSM. My Droid (any Droid, for that matter) is CDMA.

The fact that the Japanese dont really use SIM cards, (to the best of my knowledge) sort of complicates things but in essence if I bought a pay as you go android i can just insert the SIMS when I am in different regions right?
Don't fixate on SIM cards. iDen phones also use SIM cards (LTE will as well) but they're not what you're looking for. Again, you're looking for GSM devices. They need to be unlocked if you intend to use SIM's from other carriers.

Japan uses completely different network tech but, IIRC, there's some GSM coverage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones