First/pre-announcement LTEVO vs. GSIII ThreadGeneral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadien

Jadien Well-Known Member

OK, so we've seen the specs (for the most part) of the EVO 4G LTE, as I saw earlier dubbed the LTEVO, and we are all considering it against the GSIII. I'm on the fence, so I figured a little discussion would help the decision.

My quick rundown: (obviously, all GSIII is rumored, for now, I'll add more as it comes up...)

CPU:
    LTEVO= 1.5ghz S4 dual core, 28nm
    GSIII= 1.4ghz Exynos quad core, 32nm

RAM:
    LTEVO= 1g
    GSIII= 1g

Display:
    LTEVO= 4.7in 720p SLCD(2)
    GSIII= 4.6 720p SAMOLED HD

Camera:
    LTEVO= 8mp w/ f2.0 + 1.3mp ffc, imagesence tech
    GSIII= 8mp + ???mp ffc

Battery:
    LTEVO= 2,000mah, non-removable
    GSIII= 2,050mah, non-removable

Storage:
    LTEVO= 16g internal, up to 32g external microsd
    GSIII= 16g internal, with possible microsd

Skin:
    LTEVO= Sense 4.0
    GSIII= Touchwiz 4.0

Miscellaneous:
    LTEVO= Kickstand!! Camera Button!! NFC, HD voice, Kickstand!! Camera Button!!
    GSIII= curved design, low/no bezel

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Which one are you getting?

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i think your dreaming on some of those specs to be %100 honest.... 2gb of RAM is not gonna happen, not for a few more years. the CPU is total guess work too, nobody knows what sammy has up their sleeves for the GSIII CPU

my opinion... there is no fence for me, LTEVO all the way. sammy makes good phones but the SGSIII will never be as feature packed as the LTEVO is...

SD card slot, kickstand, the camera is gorgeous, dedicated camera button, SLCD2 >>>> Samoled anything, beats audio (makes a difference to some), HD voice calls (could very well show up on SGSIII), NFC, 2,000 mah, and on and on... the EVO didn't miss a single thing. i mean, i'm gonna have 80gb in my EVO when all is said and done. those features alone don't make this phone unique but having EVERY SINGLE ONE in the SAME phone is just pure win for team HTC.

it's gonna be hard for samsung to compete with this phone anyway and on top of that this bad guy is gonna be available roughly three months earlier too... for me, a man with an upgrade in pocket ready to go, its a no brainer to go with the LTEVO on this one...

especially that screen, that is one of the biggest selling points, along with the s4 CPU, for me. i've never seen a screen so gorgeous, i absolutely will NOT buy an amoled screen, call me a photophile but i need accurate colors like nobodies buisness and this screen has it while sammy is no where close.
    Complex757, RichboyJhae and AM2 like this.
  3. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

LTEVO all the way.

E4G was the greatest, most versatile and dependable phone I could have ever imagined. The battery life is phenomenal (well, depending on the ROM. Stock isn't bad though). Sense offers everything that I could want, and more. Plus HTC keeps up with OS updates MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Samsung. And well, the LTEVO is a true successor to the original. So what else can I say? The LTEVO is the best there ever was (E4G), but drastically upgraded and in a new package.

Samsung has burned me too badly. I don't care what specs the GSIII has, the company is too poor in its business practices for me to purchase a smartphone from them again. Plus, their GPS... Honestly, what does Samsung use as a GPS radio in their phones? Smoke signals?
  4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Well, there's no way of comparing until we find out the specs of the GS3. It's definitely between these two phones.....which I'll make my upgrade.
    BenChase7 likes this.
  5. Jadien

Jadien Well-Known Member

I hear what you guys are saying. All of those added perks on top of the top-tier spec's make this phone amazing!!

I'm just wondering if the S4 is as far ahead of the game as the OG EVO's CPU was back in the day. I know it's not all about core count, and the S4 beats the only quad core we have out now(Tegra 3, or as I still love to call it "Kale-el"), but for a two-year contract, I want it to be as future-proof as possible. Not saying I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because there might be something better coming; just thinking that if the GSIII is as good as the RUMORS are rumoring, I would want to decide carefully to allow the biggest bang for my buck. Remember when folks were debating the "need" for a 1ghz processor in a phone?!?! Hahahaha!!!!

Thoughts?
  6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

the new evo is about as good as it gets, it's actually THE best on the market when it hits...

with our original EVO's, the nexus ONE had the same CPU months before, and pretty much every phone that followed the EVO had 1ghz as well.

this bad boy, the s4, is literally a whole new breed, its the first 28nm CPU with STELLAR performance. every piece of hardware, ESPECIALLY mobile phone tech with where we are at in its short history, is going to show some signs of age after two years. but in all honesty it looks positive. android itself is getting better (optimizations, now running linux 3.0 kernel) and i think that after two years of this phone it'll feel like one year after the EVO 4g. thats just my $0.02
    BenChase7 likes this.
  7. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

what im more interested in is the EVO LTE vs GS XLIV!!

i mean really, how can we compare the new evo to a phone that doesn't exist yet? :confused:
    NYCHitman1, IOWA, 3vodroid and 3 others like this.
  8. viber

viber Well-Known Member

If you want your GPS to work, you'll get the EVO
  9. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

And if you want to be able to make it past noon without your phone going dead, you'll get the Samsung. This phone has some nice specs and all but i'm going to assume that Samsung is going to come upstage it in a few weeks just like they did the 3D/Sensation last year.
  10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Interesting. my take from this thread is that we may see a lot of people who left the Evo brand last year come back to it this year. Indeed, I think the LTEVO really does do a better job as a successor phone than the 3VO did.

As for the 'vs Galaxy III' part, do we really have to do this again? I wouldn't be surprised if there were still people debating Evo vs Epic.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Moment vs Hero
    Epic vs Evo
    E4GT (SGS2) vs 3vo
    SGS3 vs LTEVO
    SGS4 vs HTC Two X
    SGS5 vs HTC Three Z

:D

I understand the need to compare, but less so when the SGS3 is still at the rumor stage. ;)
    BenChase7 likes this.
  12. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i like how the evo1 (evil 1) .. is shaping up... and I want to see more real world reviews.

but still want to hear what SG3 will be like...

in the past .. for me.. htc has won, but still want to compare.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  13. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

The quad-core Exynos will still be based on a prior generation ARM A9-Cortex design, so we can get a sense of the kind of processing power it will bring to bear by comparing it with the current Tegra 3 (which is also an ARM A9-Cortex design).

Currently, it looks like the 1.5 Ghz Qualcomm S4/Krait trades blows with the 1.5Ghz Tegra 3, particularly depending on the kind of application or benchmark. The S4 represents a true generational (or at least half generation) leap over the prior A9-Cortex design, and on a per-core basis, currently holds the crown... at least until TI or whoever comes out with the first ARM A15-Cortex design, which is already in previews. That thing will blow everything else out of the water.

There is a point of diminishing returns of real-world compute power when you increase the cores, as you need the applications to be increasingly multi-threaded to see the real-world gains.

All this just to say... a 1.5 or 1.8 Ghz quad-core Exynos may have comparable performance to the LTEVO, despite the bigger clock speed and "quad-core" nomenclature.
    NYCHitman1 and EarlyMon like this.
  14. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I really hope Motorola comes out with something just as spectacular to get into the conversation. I really have had such a great experience with my MoPho, as well as all the accessories that Motorola came out with for the phone.
    simcha and EarlyMon like this.
  15. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

Have the Epic Touch, no issues at all with GPS.
    Orion likes this.
  16. EarlyMon

MoPho, MoPho, MoPho - just come back to the fold! :D

We don't need no stinking accessories! :D
    AM2 likes this.
  17. drexappeal

Hahaha...I wish I could say I don't, EarlyMon. But man, the car dock made by Motorola absolutely kills any car dock I've ever had from HTC. They use a universal Garmin mount on the back, so I have alternate options for mounting. On top of that, they added an integrated 3.5mm input, connected through the charger, so it gets the wires out of the way and no need to use the 3.5mm input on the phone. The lapdock made me want to get rid of my laptop and switch to a powerful PC at home.
    simcha likes this.
  18. EarlyMon

Clearly, I am not talking to a duct tape man.

I see.

(sounds like a nice car dock, tho)
  19. mak916

mak916 Well-Known Member

Maybe we will have some real information about the GS3 soon.

Attached Files:

EarlyMon likes this.
  20. EarlyMon

If no solid facts on the Samsung are going to emerge until two weeks after pre-order of LTEVO, this thread will really only be a Lounge thread debating the known with the unknown for some time. ;)

Seven weeks. :eek:
  21. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

We are not going to get any REAL info until Samsung themselves place the announcement.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  22. mak916

mak916 Well-Known Member

I agree!
  23. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I'll admit, its amazing how tight lipped Samsung has been.
  24. EarlyMon

They're still doing it as wrong as HTC.

One X, end of February, people in the press get to play with it. Beginning of April, people in the press get to play with the Sprint variant. Beginning of May, we get to order one. Until we're sure in June and get one, we all go nuts until someone is ready to sell their children for a glimpse of a speedy delivery truck with their box.

Samsung does it all differently. They have been matching the HTC dates I have mentioned, in general ok, but with the main difference of getting more ink without letting people in the press touch one.

In either case, it stretches out to a good 4 or 5 months of consumers like us somehow staying interested.

The correct day for pre-ordering the LTEVO was April 4, 2012.

I have no idea about Samsung, as even that invitation for the 22nd has people calling shenanigans.

Much like the situation preceding yesterday for the LTEVO, iow.
  25. drexappeal

LOL...you know I'm always about the OEM accessories (unless they suck). I think I waited for every single OEM accessory for the EVO before and even though HTC makes "pretty" accessories, the functionality is nowhere near Motorola's level.

That said, as of right now, it'd be so worth it with the LTEvo. Man, the more I look at that thing, really makes me miss the construction of HTC devices.
    simcha and EarlyMon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.