• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First/pre-announcement LTEVO vs. GSIII Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the screen specs are a "down to earth" 720p instead of the ridiculous 1080p, which would result in an unprecedented and likely impossible (at current technology) 470+ pixel density at 4.65" display diagonal.

What I'm most curious of is if this is a 720p Super AMOLED that is basically featured in the Galaxy Nexus, with the Pentile subpixel arrangement, or if it will be a 720p Super AMOLED PLUS (theoretically) display with a traditional RGB subpixel arrangement.

Upvote 0
I just love the rivalry that's been imposed on the gs3 and one X, although it seems more like EL TEvo vs. gs3 to me. it's exciting to at least believe that soooo many people will base their buying decision on which one ends up with the better specs and overall most "features". right now it seems like based on that belief EL TEvo should come out on top , but until we know the "true" details on the gs3 you can't declare a victor yet. (although I'd be really surprised if the gs3 had a kickstand, which for me is an example of what my deciding factor could be if both phones are really closely spec'd)

Upvote 0
Top vs top end phones..

Samsung always beats out most other manufacturers in spec.. They love to cram what they can in.. Every year it is the same.

In the end.. The radios always seam to below par...

I don't think I've ever owned a Samsung phone so I can't personally relate. it does seem like the timeline favors them being able to one up other manufacturers though, which isn't hard to do if you historically release phones towards the end of the year (which I don't know if that's common practise for them or not). but also with time being a revolving door and all infinite and errthing (darn time!), it can easily be stated in favor of the other manufacturers as well. guess it just depends on which way you stand...ouch I gotta recover from that deep thought...it's the weekend, and thus my brains off day...me hungry...must eat meat...ok I'm back

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Samsung fans include a smaller, vocal contingent that post fanatically and more importantly, relentlessly, on all of the blogs they can find.

They're the drivers for the memes that Samsung specs are superior, no matter what, that invalid benchmarks are perfect so long as Samsung wins and they rabidly attack all comers.

Many blogs cater to them, thriving on the hits they generate with their misguided mumbo jumbo, superstitious versions of how processors work.

By equivalent analogy, they see themselves as Windows users while non Samsung users are as dumb as Mac sheep.

It's nearly impossible to have an intelligent conversation about specs and features and benefits of various models when they enter the room. I wonder often if they're that insecure or just Samsung plants.

Note that I don't put all Samsung fans in this category by any means, but I promise that these types exist, and while full of crap, are highly convincing.

Let's remember that no phones are perfect, any of the top end models are worthy, it's a matter of what matters.

Example, the GPU benchmarks have nothing to do with how the S4 processor updates the screen for user interfaces - the S4 doesn’t use the GPU for that the way that people often think.

I overclocked my 3vo to 1.5 GHz to match performance of the Samsung processor at 1.2 GHz, and tried apps side by side against a buddy's SGS2. In at least half of the cases, my phone was obviously smoother and more responsive. Within bands of my totally unscientific test, a tie.

I asked what he thought, and he replied that my phone lost hands down because Sense sucked.

Prejudice colors judgment. Let's see how the comparison today really shakes out. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Samsung fans include a smaller, vocal contingent that post fanatically and more importantly, relentlessly, on all of the blogs they can find.

They're the drivers for the memes that Samsung specs are superior, no matter what, that invalid benchmarks are perfect so long as Samsung wins and they rabidly attack all comers.

Many blogs cater to them, thriving on the hits they generate with their misguided mumbo jumbo, superstitious versions of how processors work.

By equivalent analogy, they see themselves as Windows users while non Samsung users are as dumb as Mac sheep.

It's nearly impossible to have an intelligent conversation about specs and features and benefits of various models when they enter the room. I wonder often if they're that insecure or just Samsung plants.

Note that I don't put all Samsung fans in this category by any means, but I promise that these types exist, and while full of crap, are highly convincing.

Let's remember that no phones are perfect, any of the top end models are worthy, it's a matter of what matters.

Example, the GPU benchmarks have nothing to do with how the S4 processor updates the screen for user interfaces - the S4 doesn

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
This my friend, is the reason I left other forum site for this one, with knowledgeable/objective people here.....As EarlyMon said, the Samsung enthusiast have no valid and tasteless point in their arguments!

OK, so long as we don't lump all Samsung fans into the category caused by a vocal minority. ;)

Do Samsungs have problems? Yes, they vary by model - just like HTC.

Are specs important? Yes, if they help indicate performance around features that matter to you.

Do benchmarks matter? Yes, sometimes, if they can really relate to things that you will use your phone for.

If you are coming up from an Evo, either the LTEvo or new Samsung is going to make you want to put your seatbelt on. If coming from a dual core, we'll see, won't we? :)

We used to have to care about speed. Processing is getting so advanced that the differences are going to start existing only on paper for just about all of us.

In my opinion. ;)

Upvote 0
I could not agree more with this statement! it's what i've been noticing over the past few years. the evolution of the smart phone over the past few years has been the most accelerated advancements computers have seen. in just a few years we've gone from phones that couldn't even handle angry birds too well to now we are playing NEAR current console quality games, and that is just a FEW years.

when i stop and TRULY think about it, my EVO handles ICS just as well as it handled it's stock ROM on day one. to me, that says that the software isn't elevating to demanding levels as quickly as hardware is elevating to meet them. and that is a GOOD thing, that means our phones retain more value over it's life and that it will still be quite capable in two years. i really really like this direction...

What ICS rom are you on!?

Upvote 0
I've had one samsung phone (instinct) and 2 HTC phones (evo/evo3d) and based on that HTC blows samsung away. Now I hear samsung has come a long way since then but that was the worst call quality I've had on a cell phone by a mile and it didn't seem to be supported well either.

The Instinct wasn't even Android. It was a proprietary software developed by Samsung that was half-baked at best.

Upvote 0
I've had one samsung phone (instinct) and 2 HTC phones (evo/evo3d) and based on that HTC blows samsung away. Now I hear samsung has come a long way since then but that was the worst call quality I've had on a cell phone by a mile and it didn't seem to be supported well either.

Lol come on dude. Thats not even a fair comparison.

Reactions: RichboyJhae
Upvote 0
I went into Best Buy to check out the SGS II, Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus, just to get an idea if the size of the phone was as uncomfortable as I originally though...I've changed my stance about it being "too big."

So, whatever I decide to upgrade to, as long as this is the max that manufacturers go, I think I'll be okay. Funny how initial perception can change after a while.

Upvote 0
remember when the Evo og came out with 4.3 screen and all the gripe about it being to big... funny..

Yeah...I was one of the people worrying that it'd be too big for my tastes. Between switching from being a diehard physical qwerty keyboard guy, while also having a taller/wider phone than the Touch Pro...I thought it was going to be a big adjustment. That all changed when I went in to physically hold the EVO 4G in store. That gave me the comfort of knowing the transition would be fine.

With the E4GT, I actually went into the store to hold it when it first came out and it felt really uncomfortable. I don't know what changed, but when I held it in the store yesterday, it felt much better than I originally thought. Granted, I also held the galaxy note (which is definitely too damn big for my tastes, IMO).

Upvote 0
I'm not into benchmarks, but here's more info to throw out there for comparison:

Samsung Galaxy S3 shows up in Kies, AnTuTu benchmark

I don't know where the One X sits, but you can probably head over to that forum to see where the One X clocked in at using Antutu.

AnTuTu is pretty decent. But I think that we have to wait to see the real SGS3 results, along with the full AnTuTu readouts. ;) :)

Upvote 0
I've been with HTC for a while.. loved the hero, LOVED TO DEATH the evo4g, and thus made the jump to 3vo soon as it came out, and have hated it since day 32. At the same time my friends switched from the evo4g to SII and they love it, so i'm torn as to what to do next.. SIII, LTEVO, or Galaxy nexus...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones