First reason to change phones

Last Updated:

1. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I should start out by saying I do love my N1...

But, after reading about the new version of Google Maps coming out, I am beginning to see myself needing a new phone in the not to distant future. In the article, the Nexus One will not be 100% compatible with the update due to limitations with the N1 touchscreen. I think we all know there are some quirks with the touchscreen, and it is kind of sad to see those becoming an issue with new software being developed. The problem I have is that I don't see my next phone on the market just yet, but I will definitely be looking for one now.

Advertisement
  2. razvan06

razvan06 Well-Known Member

There will allways be a reason to change a phone !

Right now it isn't that good of a reason to change the N1.

3. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

I suspect the trackball will be able to do what the screen can't.

There are hundreds of thousands of people out there with phones that aren't "100% compatible" with GM5.

4. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

To add to that, the Nexus S is not a good reason to change from the N1. There is so much better technology right stood the corner. Dual cores, better gpus (tegra 2), better screens, they are all coming very shortly. Hold off until the at least Q1.

cshih2 likes this.
  5. razvan06

razvan06 Well-Known Member

or maybe wait for a "Nexus 3" ?

6. aquaitious

aquaitious Well-Known Member

Well, if it's only the multitouch that's limiting the N1 from being 100% compatible, then we're in luck. :D

If I recall correctly, the multitouch will be used for only looking at 3D images...not a great reason to spend another 530 bucks for a new phone. lol.

I'm excited about caching!

7. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

From what I've read the multitouch lets you reposition the view as an alternative to using the inbuilt compass to automatically position it.

Not bothered about that at all myself - certainly not a good reason to move to a phone with less storage capability.
    If they'd put a card slot in it (and talked about a desktop dock) it might have been a different story.

8. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed and relieved about the Nexus S. I thought it was going to be so much of an improvement. I wouldn't give up my trackball and microSD for a better screen, not YET anyway.

I'm also waiting for a Nexus 3... or Nexus E maybe (because 3 looks like E).

9. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

It lets you spin the map.

So if have one finger bottom left and move it to top left and another finger top right and move it bottom right you have a 90 deg spin.

It's the clearpad 2000 cross axis problem rearing its ugly head!

10. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

It isn't that bad then. I'm OK with the Compass determining where I am facing.. never had problems before.. unless the new 3D maps breaks the standard Navigation view that rotates as you change directions and what not.

11. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's more of a map browsing feature.

12. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

That feature would def be a nonissue for me since its usually in the dock when navigating, so thats good. The only time that it would be useful is when getting walking directions since sometimes the GPS can't always get the direction immediately because of the speed.