First Rom rooted for a long time

Last Updated:

1. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have been careful with my Droid because I use it heavily for business and didn't want to risk having some issues with Roms and being unable to use the phone reliably. I am eligible for a new phone so I figured its time to take the plunge and load some new Roms until i find one I like. Trying to hash out recovery details though. There are some good threads here but nothing quite to answer my main concerns.

I have noticed Titanium Backup has an option to create an update.zip. If I create this file take it off my card and save it can I just place it back on the card and use the phones recovery mode, wipe data and then restore it to exact image of what I had when I ran it? Also I am thinking of making an image of my SD Card so that I can restore that as well so the phone is truly identical to the when the backup was run. My plan is to Wipe the card the card when I install a ROM so that it is like having a brand new phone with that ROM factory installed. Unless there is an application that can do this for me and allow me to go back and forth in such a manner. I like the of Dark Edge right now and am thinking of going with that one if anyone has any suggestions those would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member

I have TiBu, but I don't use it for backing up the whole ROM. Rom manager is excelent for making backups as you can NAME the backup. Very handy as I have a serious case of CRS and trying to remember a date as which backup I want is darn near impossible. See post here http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...ted-need-some-help-though-noob-obviously.html for my personal version of a how to. As for wiping your SD card and stuff I don't know but there are LOTS of info in the stickied post about all that.

I'm relatively new at Rom'ing, but personally after trying a few I just like to stick with vanilla (as I won't use anything but launcher pro so there's pretty much no point in a new rom) but I did install a 1.1GHz kernal and really that's all I want. Smokin fast and just the way I like it. I do use TiBu to back up all my apps and sys data so when I try a new rom I can just restore all my old stuff and settings, or just the stuff I want to the new rom, since like I said from what I've seen so far most rom's (albeit usually with a better kernal and a few custom apps) are just themed launchers.

No offence to all the dev's out there doing all the hard and fantastic work, but I just love my Launcher pro too much. Now before y'all go get the pitchforks and torches, I know there is much more involved than that, but I was trying to not make this a disertation.

StrifeJester likes this.
  3. StrifeJester

OK so time to install ROM Manager I guess. So far I am kind of in the same boat I am happy with the phone as it just want a different theme and a faster kernel would be nice. I am also working on documenting my steps because a lot of the guides I find seem to have holes in them. I want a concrete solution in good step by step form. This way if before and after if I go "I want my phone like it was 20 minutes ago I can. This seems to be the hardest information to find. I know it has to be possible to have something that is an image there have been disk imaging tools for yours for everything out there. That I think is the biggest thing I want and it sounds like ROM Manager does that. I can save a file that is 100% of everything I had/have. I know bundling this file with a copy of my SD Card. I am kind of anal about this stuff. I do it on my computer too I run Acronis constant Protection and snapshot my system nightly or before a major install. I love the control of being able to have things back to exactly what they were.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

In ROM manager there is an option to "Backup Current ROM". You can name the ROM whatever you want (I use date and ROM Description) and then it will create a nandroid backup... a complete mirror image of your phones state. That way, if something goes awry or you don't like something you did, you can go into ClockworkMod Recovery (x+power) and restore the nandroid. It will be like you never touched it, right back to the state it was in the instant you made the backup.

For that reason, I backup early and often, and before I make any major changes. Since the nandroids are fairly BIG, I keep a lot of them on the PC and leave an important handful on the phone's SD card.

StrifeJester likes this.
  5. StrifeJester

Maybe I am just being anal but does it pay to copy the SD Card contents. I mean it only contains the data for the applications that are installed but I am thinking since I will have the same apps installed on multiple ROMs I may want different settings for some of them. Obviously leaving things like the media folders would be OK for me but I am more worried about a non default setting screwing something up in the ROM.

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

When installing a ROM and wiping the phone, your SD contents are NOT TOUCHED. I copied my SD card to the PC (took hours) as insurance against a failing card, but ROMming won't affect it at all. Did that answer your question?

I understand your concern about an app setting on the SD card messing something up, but I have experienced just the opposite. Saving my apps and data (especially the homescreen backup in LauncherPro) to the SD card speeds up the process. I've never had a conflict.

7. StrifeJester

OK, sounds great thanks, as a precaution I used Astro to create a zip of my entire SD Card, it took about 40 minutes only and was 800MB so if something goes awry I will just extract that over the top thanks again for all of the help.

8. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member

So the backups are on the SD card. cool, didn't know that, although I guess I should have. haven't been concerned enough to look.

Same Same here. So far the one thing that might fail on it's own that I can tell would be the SD card. Also I do it so when the 32G cards come down in price it's easier to transfer over.