• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help first smart phone, battery help

Smoothpanda

Dec 28, 2010
hello this is my first smart phone so I'm really new to this
, the battery fire my phone dies after about seven to nine hours of texting, and some moderate web browsing.I've fine alot of the recommended things to do to save battery like turning off the brightness shutting off un used apps turning off gps bluetooth and so on .but even after all of that I still get about nine hours.I've heard that 'rooting' can help with the battery it's this true? And does anyone have any other tips on how to save battery?
Thanks

Welcome to the forums, smoothpanda.

Constant texting on an Android device wears battery life down rather quickly as compared to some other devices, I've noticed. I had Blackberries before my first Android phone, and I'd say the battery life on those was better.

Android phones have a lot to do.. and a full day's use is about it for the batter. There are some measures a user can take, of course, such as using static (non-live) wallpapers, syncing things like Facebook, gmail, weather, etc manually rather than having them set to autosync, having the screen brightness tweaked to the lowest setting you are comfortable with, etc.

There are a lot of posts and articles about this subject, here's one:

How to Save Battery Power on an Android - wikiHow

Good luck, have fun! ;)

Upvote 0
I would throw this phone in the trash if you don't root or custom rom your phone. The vibrant is such a powerful machine thats being handcuffed by Samsung. The processor alone is like a supercharger for a car, you have more power but trade gas mileage for it. Axura 2.2 or Nero v3 with the voodoo lagfix are excellent choices for roms when it comes to battery life. Some argue that they didn't see any difference but I myself can vouch for both of them extending battery life. The first night I flashed Nero v3 I forgot to plug my phone in overnight. It lasted me until 7 pm the next day with moderate use.

Give it a try, you can always Odin back to stock

Upvote 0
Thanks fort the link.....but I already do all of that .would you suggest rooting my phone? Or any sort of roms?

You should root your phone and install SetCPU. I believe you can get it for free on the XDA forum.

With SetCPU you can change the speed of your processor. If the processor is running slower then it will use less power. The downside is that the phone will run slower. But SetCPU has profiles which you can set up which automatically adjust the processor speed. You can set it to turn the speed down when the screen is off and then restore it to full speed when the screen comes back on. When the screen is off you probably don't need the extra speed so cut it back to conserve the battery.

Upvote 0
Battery life with NERO v3 is amazing, BUT the screen is still what kills the battery if you have the screen on all the time you'll be lucky to get more than 5 hours (I tested this with nero at least, lasted 4 hours and something with the screen on constantly while using the web on 2G). If you look at my battery stats, like 89% of my battery usage is the screen and I have the brightness all the way down (which I consider too bright still). My phone has been on from 8:30 am until now (7 PM) and I'm at 37% battery with some pretty heavy web use on 2G in my basement and other places that dont get the best signal. Which is pretty damn good considering that when the phone was stock I didnt even have signal in my basement.

Upvote 0
If you want to stay stock, there are a few things you can do, and perhaps a few things your weren't aware this phone could do. Of course the brightness is the biggest deal...turn off auto and just swipe across the notification bar to adjust your brightness (I've noticed this doesn't work with certain ROMs). It's super handy. When I was running stock, I used a darker screen background as that illuminated the pixels less. Emails and such synched every two hours (and you can modify each email client individually by hitting the menu button usually). I also feel like I noticed a slightly better battery using a different launcher, I prefer LauncherPro (and recommend the Plus version). Most text based apps have a background option, set them to black (I know Kindle and NubiNews have this option). I noticed a huge battery jump by using just the Edge network, particularly since I live in an area where 3G is spotty, and the phone was always looking for a better signal.

I didn't completely neuter my smartphone as T-Mobile or Samsung would like to get a battery life, however, even with all those tweaks, I could sometimes barely make it to the end of my day. I just keep a charger at work.

However, I recently rooted my phone and am running a custom ROM on it now (Eugene's GingerClone), and am loving it. Not only is the phone snappier and more responsive, my battery gets over 30 hours of life now. I will make this one recommendation though: read...a lot!! I read through these forums for months before I took the plunge and while it is ridiculously easy to root and add a ROM, I felt knowledge was power and took my time. I've built a thread in "All Things Root" that has a lot of beginner level info that took time to find on my own.

http://androidforums.com/vibrant-all-things-root/244533-more-root-rom-info.html

Welcome to the new world (as my girlfriend calls it since getting her Fascinate).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones