• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help first "smart phone"

mister880

Aug 15, 2010
hello all - name is burke. just got the droid 2 yesterday. love the phone so far.
i hope this battery life gets better though, i had to charge it twice yesterday in an 8 hour period, and i wasn't using the phone extensively.
today seemed to be a bit better..
i heard after a few charge cycles, the battery will last longer?
few questions though, i downloaded the advanced task killer app, i notice "skype mobile" and "city id" are always in the running tasks. i'm not starting these apps, so why are they always running?

i go to send a text message, then go into the task killer to kill the tasks, and "skype mobile", "city id", and "amazon mp3" is always in that menu. i kill the tasks. 10 minutes later, i can go into advance task killer again and i have to kill them again..

Is the ATK app bad for the phone? The VZW rep pretty much grabbed my phone and installed the app for me the second it was activated, so I thought it was some essential app...
It's probably part habit and part ignorance, ATK was a very good app to have on many past smartphones but is not necessary on the Droid X or Droid 2.
Some people apparently believe that they do get better battery life and faster operation on the Droid X and Droid 2 with ATK, others argue that the phones do a better job themselves.

However, trying it or not should be up to you and if a VZW rep installed any apps without my requesting it I'd hand them the phone, tell them that they must think it is theirs and ask for them to please get me my new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones