First Things to do after I take it out of the boxGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rjfrandle

rjfrandle Member This Topic's Starter

OK...so I am brand new to the forum. Thanks in advance for all the great stuff I am learning. I don't even have my droid eris yet but it should be here in a couple days. Since the battery is the big issue with this phone, what do you suggest are the first things I do when unpacking the phone. I assume get it activated first, but I am wondering about battery conditioning, turning apps off...etc.... I don't want to do things in the wrong order and screw anything up....turn off things I shouldn't, download things I don't need to etc.... I want to do all the things right before I start using it a lot.

Advertisement
  2. mimmic

mimmic Well-Known Member

I did a full charge, killed the battery, another full charge, and killed the battery again. After that I've had no battery problems unless I use an app that continuously keeps a data connection open even when the phone is locked. (meebo IM drains it quick).

I keep GPS, Mobile Network, and Bluetooth turned on. I do have WiFi disabled at all times unless I don't have a cell signal. I do have an exchange email account so my phone is constantly syncing with the server and like I said, have extremely little battery problems.

3. MisterMcGoo

MisterMcGoo Well-Known Member

I turn off everything except Mobile Web and my exchange only syncs every 4 hours (I'll do it manually if I need a more recent sync). My battery lasts about 36 hours with moderate use and 48 hours with light use. I ran it through three full charge cycles when I first got it and it seems fine.

4. lilroot

lilroot Well-Known Member

First thing to do after hooking the Eris up with Verizon Wireless service is to:

1. Go to the 'Market'
    2. Search, download and install 'Advanced Task Killer Free'
    3. Open this app and 'Kill all checked tasks' When you are done using the phone (i.e. Setting phone down and not using for a bit)

This app kills all the apps from running, including itself, and thus saves tons of battery life. When the above people are talking about 'turning off apps' above, this is the only way I know how to do this.

Install this app first, then....... GO HAVE TONS OF FUN, I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!

5. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Doesn't 'Advanced Task Killer Free' drain the battery pretty fast though?

6. lilroot

lilroot Well-Known Member

What it does is it allows you to end tasks (like mail, explorere, youtube, ect.) and close them all out so that it stops the constant connection to the internet, it evens cancels itself out.

The verizon rep said that was the first thing to download when you get the phone up and running. If I am wrong, I am sorry, but it seems to be helping me a bunch.

Battery still is depressing, but atleast it lasts a day or so for me.

7. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

I agree, I love the phone to, I'm coming from the blackberry world and what the Eris offers that blackberry doesn't, is FUN! Blackberry's are many things, fun isn't one of them. I love Taskkiller it's a great way to keep battery life, though I do notice I'm either playing with it a hell of a lot or the battery sucks, I need to charge it daily.

8. Wolfedude88

Sweet I might have to give it a try, I was a little worried since I have heard it can kill your battery too. I might just go a head a try it, whats the worst that can happen?

9. Solidis

Solidis Well-Known Member

First thing i did when i got my Eris from Verizonstore was act cool.. Got home.. and started jumping like a little kid after he got his toy.. lol.. Na but i just started chargung my phone when i got home..but had a lil battery issue read a thread on androidforums and let the battery drain once and charged it fully and havent had a problem scence....

10. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

I am using my Eris without any task killer for the past week now. No difference and I dont even see why you would need one.

11. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

If you observe the posts on this forum for any length of time, you'll notice that a lot of folks ( me too :eek: ) go through a seven-step program:

1) Buy phone.
    2) Take it home and play with it like a mad fool.
    3) Discover that the battery life seems to be not to your liking.
    4) Try to customize the crap out of it like a mad fool to save battery life.
    5) Find out you have another life beside playing with the new gadget.
    6) Suddenly discover that the battery life is acceptable, except in "mad fool" mode.
    7) Discover that all those tweaks were unnecessary.

But that's OK - "mad fool mode" lets you discover all the cool features of the phone.

:D

12. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

i agree.

13. Wolfedude88

Wow, I literally just looked like a fool and laughed out loud.

14. rjfrandle

rjfrandle Member This Topic's Starter

Well there is no doubt I will be in mad fool mode. I love electronics, and can't put new stuff down when I get it. So....I will probably drain the battery. So maybe I will just shut the basics off, and go from there. Do you think I should charge the battery the rest of the way full first before using it, or drain it, and then charge it?

15. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Li-Ion batteries don't exhibit "memory", so it matters little. It might be that the battery monitoring software gets a little better at predicting % charge remaining over time, but there's plenty of time and battery charge cycles ahead of you for that. If you want to play with it extensively, by all means do so - just plug it in to the charger (or USB on your PC), and keep fooling with it!

happy trails!

eu1