First Time Android User :) few questions

Last Updated:

1. Bane99

Bane99 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, after waiting for 3.5 years with a BJII, I finally have an android phone worth buying.....
    Not digging this new capped internet deal, but I'm stuck with ATT.
    This phone has been great so far! Stood outside the ATT store @ 11am on July 18th and got the first Captivate. within 10 minutes, all 20 were gone ;)

I really want to be able to root this phone and sideload apps in the future, but I'm pretty busy and don't want to mess with it for the time being. Anyways here are my questions.

1) GPS: I've followed several GPS instructions about changing servers and whatnot, but still can't get a signal lock. Any other information?

2) Backgrounds: I downloaded a few 480x800 res backgrounds and taken a few pictures with the camera. When I try to apply it as a background, it doesn't let me choose the entire image, just a part of it. Is there a way to get the entire picture setup as the background image for the home screen?

3) USB: I am currently running a Win 7 Pro 64bit OS. From the USB thread it seems that the 64 bit drivers are down. The two bottom links dont go anywhere and all that's left is the general samsung drivers. Now all I want to do at the moment is be able to look inside my phone and bring my music library to the internal SD card. Will those generic drivers work? I don't have a "USB" option under the notifications bar like everyone is talking about as well.

Thanks for the time and consideration guys. Excited to be using the first "decent" android phone on ATT.

Advertisement
  2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

To answer question #2 and my biggest gripe with Android. No, you can't use 480 x 800 wallpapers. :) Android is based on multiple homescreens with scrolling wallpaper.

You need 960 x 800 wallpapers instead. That way when the crop box comes up, you choose the whole picture so that it's not distorted. I know, I know, but that's the way Android works. :(

Download the Flicki Wallpaper HD app or the Zedge app from the market for wallpapers.

Question #3. Have you tried the USB drivers?? When you plug your phone in do you get a USB symbol in your status bar? If so, slide down the status bar and click on the USB box. If it comes up with a message then you are good to go if you 'mount' the drive.

3. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

If you're not getting the USB symbol try a different port. And the 1st set of drivers listed "should" work fine for you.

As for GPS, this seems to be the thorn in the Captivates side, if you've tried all the tips and tricks the only other thing I can suggest is to take it back to the store. I've heard of some taking theirs back and getting replacements that are fine. For me the fixes worked though.

4. Bane99

I haven't actually hooked it up to my computer yet. Haven't had the need so far. Exported my outlook contacts to .csv and uploaded to my gmail, so no problems there. Same with my calendar.

Going to install the drivers now and test.

5. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

Oh! You don't get it till you plug it in. Then you can click it and mount. Good luck.

6. Bane99

No problem mounting and using the phone as external storage.
    Didn't know how to put music on it, so I just used iTunes Agent and transferred all the songs I wanted from iTunes to the phone. Works fine now.

GPS works now, accurate to 1800 meters -.-
    Sitting in my apartment, it puts me across the street. When I was out getting food, it was pretty accurate *shrugs* Still had that huge multi-block bubble of possible accuracy =P

Guess i'll have to look for 960x800 wallpapers... You'd think that camera photos would fit the screen exactly :( Since you have to swipe across screens and they use the photo for the entire swipe process, 480x800 res wouldn't work.