• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First time rooting - don't wanna screw up

uanaka

Oct 24, 2011
Hey guys!

Anyways, this is my first time rooting my Optimus F6 (I got it today) and I realized how much of a hassle the memory problem will be based on reviews.

So I understand there is a need to root and a need to partition the drives, and I was wondering if I could get some help? Many of the guides I've read on forums here are either outdated, or they don't work anymore and people come up with super complex and extensive explanations to root and create a partition.

I was wondering if someone could really please dummify the explanation, and if possible have a nice video tutorial to go with it? I'm a visual learner so a video would be the best.

Hey guys!

Anyways, this is my first time rooting my Optimus F6 (I got it today) and I realized how much of a hassle the memory problem will be based on reviews.

So I understand there is a need to root and a need to partition the drives, and I was wondering if I could get some help? Many of the guides I've read on forums here are either outdated, or they don't work anymore and people come up with super complex and extensive explanations to root and create a partition.

I was wondering if someone could really please dummify the explanation, and if possible have a nice video tutorial to go with it? I'm a visual learner so a video would be the best.

There was recently a very easy way to root without even needing a computer. It's called towelroot. Don't do it just yet though because I myself, is still unsure about it. Wait for more replies.

Reactions: rongvang
Upvote 0
Hey guys!

Are you wanting to root the F3 or F6?
Just ask since you referenced F6 but posted in F3 forum. Don't want you to get incorrect root info.

Upvote 0
I think Saferoot will work on the F6 as well as the F3, but check with the F6 forums to be sure.
Partitioning the SD card is in reference to using Link2SD after rooting. If you choose to use this app to help with the storage situation, there are plenty of tutorials and threads discussing its use.

Well I've looked and it seems like there is kinda a discord in decision. I'm thinking of saferoot, but then there are people that say there are still errors with low internal memory storage with the partition, which leads to my confusion

Upvote 0
Well I've looked and it seems like there is kinda a discord in decision. I'm thinking of saferoot, but then there are people that say there are still errors with low internal memory storage with the partition, which leads to my confusion

Think you are merging two topics.

First determine an acceptable root method.

After successful root then focus on SD card partitoning and use of Link2SD.

Once you have root you can then address other concerns.

Upvote 0
Think you are merging two topics.

First determine an acceptable root method.

After successful root then focus on SD card portioning and use of Link2SD.

Once you have root you can then address other concerns.

Well in this case,

is saferoot or towelroot a safer rooting method? I prefer either one because they don't require usb debuggings, downloading drivers etc.

and then, what is the best program to portion my sd?

Upvote 0
Well in this case,

is saferoot or towelroot a safer rooting method? I prefer either one because they don't require usb debuggings, downloading drivers etc.

and then, what is the best program to portion my sd?

I have only used saferoot. I would start there. Either it will work or it won't. My understanding is if it doesn't work the phone will be okay. Be sure you understand all steps before starting.

For partition I recommend MiniTool partition wizard. Will need to have access micro to SD convertor so you can remove micro card and use PC.

DO NOT PARTITION MICRO CARD IN PHONE.

Think most have luck formatting 1st partition as primary fat32 and 2nd partition as primary ext4

Upvote 0
I have only used saferoot. I would start there. Either it will work or it won't. My understanding is if it doesn't work the phone will be okay. Be sure you understand all steps before starting.

For partition I recommend MiniTool partition wizard. Will need to have access micro to SD convertor so you can remove micro card and use PC.

DO NOT PARTITION MICRO CARD IN PHONE.

Think most have luck formatting 1st partition as primary fat32 and 2nd partition as primary ext4

Well I think I will use towelroot because I hear there is a greater success rate, and I really don't want to brick this phone. But regardless, after I get minitool partition (is that on my computer? or on my phone) what do I do after that?

is the fat32, the normal memory (like the external) and the ext4 the internal?

Upvote 0
Well I think I will use towelroot because I hear there is a greater success rate, and I really don't want to brick this phone. But regardless, after I get minitool partition (is that on my computer? or on my phone) what do I do after that?

is the fat32, the normal memory (like the external) and the ext4 the internal?

Minitool goes on PC place micro card in converter so you can place it in SD card on PC.

Format card fat32 and ext4 as referenced in previous post.

Upvote 0
Minitool goes on PC place micro card in converter so you can place it in SD card on PC.

Format card fat32 and ext4 as referenced in previous post.

Alright so i've done all it has asked, but my internal memory still says 1.27gbs. Is there something I haven't done correctly?

I've created links on many apps, i partitioned it correctly and I rooted my phone. The only thing I'm not sure is that SuperSU doesn't give me the option to grant superuser access forever, i only get the option for 15 minutes (maybe i need the pro version? i'm not sure)

Even after linking everything, my app memory in the internal still hasn't lowered.

Upvote 0
Alright so i've done all it has asked, but my internal memory still says 1.27gbs. Is there something I haven't done correctly?

I've created links on many apps, i partitioned it correctly and I rooted my phone. The only thing I'm not sure is that SuperSU doesn't give me the option to grant superuser access forever, i only get the option for 15 minutes (maybe i need the pro version? i'm not sure)

Even after linking everything, my app memory in the internal still hasn't lowered.

Check your supersu install. If you open app be sure to update binaries if it prompts you.

If having issues open app management, (can do this from system settings) find SuperSu and select. select clear defaults, clear cache and clear data

Go back and reopen SuperSU app and again update binaries if asked. This should clear the info so that you receive prompt. When SU prompt comes up be sure to select always. Think there may be check box for 15min so ensure that is unchecked.

What is your external SD card size? Everyone has different prefences but most comments I see indcate that for 8GB or larger external cards a 2GB external partition works for most.

So if you have an 8Gb card suggest 6GB primary fat32 and 2GB primary ext4. Be sure you format both partitions as primary.

After you install Link2SD and open you should receive 2 seperate prompts. One granting super user access (select option that defaults to always) and then you should receive comment that needs to mount external partition. Select ext4. It will then mount and reboot when done. If it does not auto reboot then perform this step manually.

Once you go back into Link2SD update settings to autolink apps on install and select all check boxes for linking. This applies to any newly install apps.

After updating the settings filter alls to user apps.

You should be able to perform a select all for your apps. However, do not link apps that will impact the functioning of your phone should the SD card have issues. For example, your launcher, google play store, file manager, security app, superSU, etc.

After you select all then choose option to create link, this will present check boxes select all.

Depending on apps this may take a few minutes. Once complete exit and then reboot your phone.

I belive you indicate you had an F6 so not sure if this comment applies, but for th F3 apps2sd is not supported. Your apps will still install to internal memory however the bulk of the app (data, settings, etc.) will be moved to the ext4 partition.

Hope this info helps.

Upvote 0
Check your supersu install. If you open app be sure to update binaries if it prompts you.

If having issues open app management, (can do this from system settings) find SuperSu and select. select clear defaults, clear cache and clear data

Go back and reopen SuperSU app and again update binaries if asked. This should clear the info so that you receive prompt. When SU prompt comes up be sure to select always. Think there may be check box for 15min so ensure that is unchecked.

What is your external SD card size? Everyone has different prefences but most comments I see indcate that for 8GB or larger external cards a 2GB external partition works for most.

So if you have an 8Gb card suggest 6GB primary fat32 and 2GB primary ext4. Be sure you format both partitions as primary.

After you install Link2SD and open you should receive 2 seperate prompts. One granting super user access (select option that defaults to always) and then you should receive comment that needs to mount external partition. Select ext4. It will then mount and reboot when done. If it does not auto reboot then perform this step manually.

Once you go back into Link2SD update settings to autolink apps on install and select all check boxes for linking. This applies to any newly install apps.

After updating the settings filter alls to user apps.

You should be able to perform a select all for your apps. However, do not link apps that will impact the functioning of your phone should the SD card have issues. For example, your launcher, google play store, file manager, security app, superSU, etc.

After you select all then choose option to create link, this will present check boxes select all.

Depending on apps this may take a few minutes. Once complete exit and then reboot your phone.

I belive you indicate you had an F6 so not sure if this comment applies, but for th F3 apps2sd is not supported. Your apps will still install to internal memory however the bulk of the app (data, settings, etc.) will be moved to the ext4 partition.

Hope this info helps.

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer! I'm currently using a 32gb sd card, but I'm not sure if I did the whole process (root and partition) correctly because my internal memory still remains as 1.27GB

Upvote 0
Partitioning the SD card and using Link2SD will not change the amount of internal memory displayed in the system menu. If you go into the Link2SD menu and select Storage Info it will show you how much is available and how much is being used in both internal and external storage including the second partition.

Just a quick question about if I did this right, I know the memory usage is going to be different because of the SD card, but at least if you can give me a ballpark it'll be great.

Internal (80% free)
249MB used/1.03GB free

SD Card (80% free) (what's the difference between this and internal)
249MB used / 1.03GB free

Ext. SD (77% free) (Partitioned ~21GB FAT32 - should be music files)
4.77GB used / 16.29GB free

SD Card 2nd Part (84% free) (Assuming this is the ext4 partition)
1.16GB used / 6.57GB free

So does this mean, looking at the Storage under Settings, is not accurate when looking at internal memory?

Upvote 0
Just a quick question about if I did this right, I know the memory usage is going to be different because of the SD card, but at least if you can give me a ballpark it'll be great.

Internal (80% free)
249MB used/1.03GB free

SD Card (80% free) (what's the difference between this and internal)
249MB used / 1.03GB free

Ext. SD (77% free) (Partitioned ~21GB FAT32 - should be music files)
4.77GB used / 16.29GB free

SD Card 2nd Part (84% free) (Assuming this is the ext4 partition)
1.16GB used / 6.57GB free

So does this mean, looking at the Storage under Settings, is not accurate when looking at internal memory?

Internal/SD card are the same thing. Your external and extended partition look okay.

From info you posted it appears everything is working properly.

Upvote 0
Internal/SD card are the same thing. Your external and extended partition look okay.

From info you posted it appears everything is working properly.

That's great to hear!

Just wondering if there are any staple things to do now that my phone is rooted and partitioned? I have Titanium and I want to start getting rid of some bloatware, but i'm afraid of uninstalling the wrong ones. Do you know some of the comon apps that can be uninstalled without causing harm.

Also what else should I do?

Upvote 0
That's great to hear!

Just wondering if there are any staple things to do now that my phone is rooted and partitioned? I have Titanium and I want to start getting rid of some bloatware, but i'm afraid of uninstalling the wrong ones. Do you know some of the comon apps that can be uninstalled without causing harm.

Also what else should I do?

Can't advise on bloatware; however one option which is available with both link2sd and titanium is freeze.
This does not delete the app but keeps it from launching. Probably the safest option if unsure of apps to remove

Upvote 0
Got the Boost Mobile rooted with Saferoot (thanks, sammy)... had the CWM on my computer desktop ready to install, but, a system upgrade kept popping up and since I share the phone with my fiancee - I held back with the install, partly because I'm chicken - the last phone I rooted was a Gingerbread phone, and, the LG running JB was a little intimidating (chicken clucks)... at any rate, I allowed the system update to happen by mistake, and now all I get is an LG logo frozen on the screen... if anyone out there has any info, as I'm even unable to perform a hard reset - please send me a PM... I'm so embarrassed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones