First use (battery) - To charge or not to charge?General

1. Sl33p3r

Sl33p3r Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm picking up the SGS II today and I had a quick question. I know in the manual for almost any phone it says to charge the battery completely as soon as you get it / before you use it. But for some reason I have always been told my whole life when you get a new phone to let the battery completely die before charging it. So which one is it, and why? I think I'd rather go with whats in the manual, but why have so many people told me this :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. beboyle

beboyle Active Member

Older rechargeable batteries such as NiCad needed to be fully discharged before recharging or they would lose capacity (the "memory" problem). Current cell phone batteries don't have that problem. Fully charging before first use is the best way to ensure maximum capacity.
  3. icedtea

icedtea Well-Known Member

i got mine with half (factory) charge. after several hours. . .(the following day) it prompted that the battery must be charged, so i did. :)
  4. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

yeah, im not really sure how much of a difference the full charge before using makes. i got mine, played around with it for an hour or two, n charged it fully. although i agree im not getting the best possible battery life out of this. lol
  5. andromatix

andromatix Well-Known Member

Yup....:)
  6. Scainer

Scainer Active Member

I believe that by letting the device drain the battery to the cut off point calibrates the capacity in a safe way. It is bad to allow the battery to fully drain as this can damage it, so recharge as soon as possible.
    Occasional recalibration might be worthwhile every few months. People warn not to do it but I believe this is scaremongering due to the risk of a potential damaging full drain scenario.

At first my battery did a good few hours while still displaying 2%.
    I assume that by recalibrating it allowed for a more true representation of battery life, but I just charge as and when so can't confirm.

this also applies to laptop batteries.