• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First working version, Clockwork Recover for LG Shine Plus.

jiilik

Nov 14, 2010
I got this working. Here's an initial version of Clockwork Recovery for the LG Shine Plus. Warning, this is a prototype. It appears to work. May eat kittens.

Link: ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.7 for LG Shine Plus
Md5sum: d989546d7c0bed5f16b32c03659e960b

I recommend making a nandroid backup first using the existing GNM recovery program. Once that's done, put this on your sdcard and flash with:

Code:
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
sync

To boot into recovery is still vol-down+home+power
Once in recovery, up and down are mapped to vol-up, vol-down; cancel/back is mapped to power, and accept is mapped to the camera button.

It looks to be capable of doing all it advertises when in recovery mode. Haven't fully tested it yet.

Oh - there's a verizon logo that pops up with this one :D My bad. It's what happens when I base things off of work done for the LG Ally.

Lastly, once flashed, the RomManager still doesn't work. It's dumb and doesn't recognize the phone. Closed source too, so I can't make it play nice.

Anyway, anyone brave enough to try this out?

Reactions: zhuanyi
Reactions: Alexcess
Upvote 0
Is clockwork better Amon-RA? Or is it needed in order to get Cyanogenmod working?

Rant-mode Start!

Well, Cyanogenmod wants RomManager to be installed, and RomManager wants Clockwork Recovery. If we get the phone supported by RomManager (even though the ads and all are quite annoying), then we can potentially reach a lot more people on this phone.

It's a standard open source scenario - unlike paid software, open source software does not *need* users. The software will exist happily and freely all by itself. However, what it does benefit from is more developers. The easiest way to get more developers is to attract users and slowly convert them into developers.

If we can get this phone supported in RomManager, this will let custom roms for this phone be much more highly visible, and user friendly to install. This means more users, and potentially, more power users we can turn into developers. Even if we don't get CM7 working, this potentially benefits us greatly in the long term.

End Rant-mode!

Oh, well, it does add flashing update.zip and similar functionality. Some programs like to be installed that way.

Upvote 0
Is clockwork better Amon-RA? Or is it needed in order to get Cyanogenmod working?

To add to what Jiilik is saying, having clockworkmod on the phone though might give us support for ext4 partition in recovery. Also, clockworkmod has an advantage that Amon RA doesn't: Advanced restore. This will permit you to restore only one partition type instead of the whole ROM. So say if you want to just flash your data partition, you can with Clockworkmod.

Upvote 0
To add to what Jiilik is saying, having clockworkmod on the phone though might give us support for ext4 partition in recovery. Also, clockworkmod has an advantage that Amon RA doesn't: Advanced restore. This will permit you to restore only one partition type instead of the whole ROM. So say if you want to just flash your data partition, you can with Clockworkmod.

Well, it's likely possible to import my ext4 kernel into GNM-ra's recovery. The recovery partition is much like the boot partition - a kernel and a initrd... the initrd contains the actual recovery program. Add an ext4 capable kernel and the programs would probably just start using it.

I'd wager that GNM-ra is still using the kernel from 2.1 that we initially dumped on their forum. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But that kernel didn't even have ext3 support. :D

Upvote 0
I've been running this version of recovery for a week now, mostly testing backup and restore functions. It's working quite well. I've also used it to do system wipes and rom flashing (well, reflashing my v008 for testing mostly).

Also, the key combinations work better. Not only can you use it without the keyboard, but using it with the keyboard is 100% intuitive.

No response from the CWM author with regard to adding official support yet. Pity. Will try again soon.

Has anyone else tested this at all?

Cheers

Upvote 0
I Emailed jiilik using the address he provided on his GitHub page asking him to update the link, so hopefully he'll respond!
Turns out I still had the file in question on my phone's SD card along with a bunch of other mod files and folders, but I was running out of SD card space and I guess I must have deleted the folder it was in :/

Upvote 0
GOT IT. A preliminary working 5.0.2.8 CWM working for the phone. Don't know if everything works yet, I will upload it tomorrow after work. Major props to jiilik for his CM board files haha.

Not sure if this link will show up:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwSkn6gSwoBQUWNieWNvb1dqWDQ

Try flashing the same way you did with AmonRa. Not responsible if it bricks your phone! Haven't tested everything yet, due to slow write speeds to the sdcard from my computer (weird huh). Will check back in tomorrow.

Controls are the same as before, camera button/phone button for OK/accept, end call button for back. End call button for back.

Vol. Down + Home key during boot, to get into recovery.

I will make a proper thread tomorrow. Also I will try porting TWRP 2.1.

Reactions: jiilik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones