• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fix for 4 button sensitivity?

rdrakea

Lurker
Jul 21, 2010
One thing that has been bugging me is the 4 buttons at the bottom and the lack of sensitivity. I find myself pushing them 2, 3 times to get the expected response. Sometimes I know it's OS lag, but other times i really think/thought it was an issue with the buttons.

I changed my default keyboard from Samsung to Android and I think the buttons work great now. Can anyone else confirm? Maybe it's just in my head. :D

I have the Evo, too..and those buttons are very sensitive, what I've noticed with the Captivate is that it seems to require you hold the button down for a few milliseconds opposed to a quick tap, it may be a feature meant to discourage accidental clicks. I think the limited backlight time is meant to save battery.

Both observations are strictly speculation.

Upvote 0
Is there a specific spot or spots on each capacitive switch that has to be touched to activate? I tried probing each switch with just a small point of my index finger and I could not get a response from the switches. So my guess is that there must be a couple of small areas around each individual switch that has to be touched at the same time to initiate an action. It would make sense to do something like this so just brushing up against the switches doesn't cause an action.

Upvote 0
I've been frustrated with this too. I've found that when the buttons are lite, they are responsive. When they are dark, that's when they don't respond very well. I either have to hold longer or press harder (may be just the perception of harder). I've gotten into the habit that when I need to hit the bottom buttons I hitting the screen to lite the buttons and then they work fine.

Upvote 0
One thing that has been bugging me is the 4 buttons at the bottom and the lack of sensitivity. I find myself pushing them 2, 3 times to get the expected response. Sometimes I know it's OS lag, but other times i really think/thought it was an issue with the buttons.

I changed my default keyboard from Samsung to Android and I think the buttons work great now. Can anyone else confirm? Maybe it's just in my head. :D

Hey guys,

Try this: Start your finger at the top of the button (or where the screen ends) and slide your finger down until your finger slides off the device...

A guy over at Android Central suggested this, and it seems to work well for some. I, though, don't have much of a problem with the touch sensitive buttons...

Upvote 0
My monitor has a capacitive touch power button. Initially I thought you had to run your finger from one side of it to the other to make it work because it worked every time, so it was kind of natural that I slide my finger on the ones for the phone. sliding vertically works well. I really do wish I had hard buttons though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones