fix for random song skipping using headphone jackTips

Last Updated:

1. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Does your Incredible randomly skip songs and activate the voice dialer while using the headphone jack?? Mine did.

I found a nice widget in the market that stops the random song skipping and voice dialer from activating.

I tried it and it works great..

Do a search for, "headset blocker" in the market. :D

I can finally listen to Pandora in my living room without randomly dialing my contacts!!! :D:D

2. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Seriously good find. There are a lot of people having issues with this. This should be stickied.
  3. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

I haven't had the issue, but now if I do I know where to look!
    BallyK likes this.
  4. BallyK

BallyK New Member

Worked perfectly for me, thanks!
  5. 2k2s2k

2k2s2k Well-Known Member

I hope this works because I stopped attempting to listen to music since it would skip every time.
  6. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 Well-Known Member

7. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

This should either be stickied, or put in a general stickied "Fixes to known issues" thread. I'd do it if I wasn't at work :p
  8. manbearpig10

manbearpig10 Member

I was just about to post this issue and thought I better search the forum first. This has been happening when I use pandora, slacker, and even listening to the downloaded tunes. It always starts after about 30 minutes of error free playing.
  9. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the problem was very annoying. I'm so glad to have found this app/widget.

Hopefully HTC will officially fix the issue so we don't need a third party app.
  10. Dracostian

Dracostian Active Member

You're my hero.

Any everyone in my contact list's hero too.
  11. androy

androy Well-Known Member

lol, thanks. I didn't write the app, I just found it. Glad I could share the info.
  12. n0really

n0really Well-Known Member

Thanks, this happens to me in Listen.
  13. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Does running this widget turn off anything else that I might actually be using?
  14. eipee73

eipee73 Well-Known Member

Awesome find, this has really been on my nerves and I'm glad someone found a fix for it!
  15. SOLIS

SOLIS Member

I have an EVO and was having a problem with the output going from headphones to headset... which gave all the typical problems (songs skipping, songs pausing, random voice dialing...).

With this app (headset blocker) I still get the headset icon, but it isn't doing what it was doing before. Then again I just installed it. The true test will be when I hit the road and try the aux jack on my truck.

Will post results. Until then, I say if you're having the same issue, give it a shot. It's a free download.
  16. snake11eyes

snake11eyes Well-Known Member

Thank You.
  17. rkcr

rkcr New Member

I wrote this little thing, glad to see people like it. :)

All it does is block the MEDIA_BUTTON broadcast. AFAIK, that only includes commands sent from what is plugged into your device that are specifically related to music. At the very least, I can still fully use my Bluetooth headset when I've got the widget activated.

I'd love to hear the results of your test. From the market reviews it sounds like EVO is still doing some wonky things even when the widget is active. I wonder if there's some custom code on the EVO that is cock blocking my widget.
  18. bucfanjeff

bucfanjeff Well-Known Member

The skipping happened for me when I used a headset that had a built-in microphone. (not compatible maybe?) When I switched to a headset only (phillips over-the-ear buds), the problem disappeared.

My resolution seemed obvious after-the-fact.
  19. AHanks12

AHanks12 Well-Known Member

+1, good find. I'll put this one on my AppBrain list in case I need it later.
  20. rkcr

rkcr New Member

If you don't mind me asking: What was the headset you were using that still had problems? And what phone do you have?

Not gonna lie, It's a little hard for me to diagnose problems since I have a budget of $0 to spend on this app (and also I wrote it primarily for myself, and I've never had any problems with it). But I might as well ask to see if there's a pattern that comes up; maybe someone with the same hardware as you can go into the source code and come up with a fix.
  21. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Had this problem with my last phone (EnV Touch). Had to keep replugging it until it recognized it was a regular set of headphones and not a mic'd headset with a button. No issues with the Inc, using the same headphones. Nice find though.
  22. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

For me on my Incredible, it blocks the voice dialing as well as the song skipping, but for some reason the songs still pause. It still shows a headset icon at the top instead of a headphone icon. It is a 3.5mm mic on both ends plugged into a radio in a car.
  23. TivoTron

TivoTron Active Member

Such a bummer --- I've been having a terrible problem with my Droid's headphone jack causing the music to start/stop at bad times (like if I'm watching a movie and jiggle the cord, the music player will kick on or if I'm walking & listening to music, the music player will stop/start randomly).

Same problem with an old Droid that I had replaced because of this issue.

I've LOVE to be able to disable ANY stop/start functionality on that jack. This widget doesn't quite go far enough apparently.

Hope someone has a fix soon -- SO annoying.
  24. shpongled

shpongled New Member

I have an evo and was experiencing the same issue. I just downloaded your app and will be testing it tonight. I will report back what issues if any I still have.

What should the icon look like when its in headphone mode vs headset mode? Also if someone could help me with the appropriate calls that need to be disabled it might be possible for someone I know to modify the source.
  25. shpongled

shpongled New Member

I tested the fix and it does help with the skipping and voice dialing but there are still pauses. Are there any other ways to disable the headset function entirely?