Fix for silent call bugGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mant

mant Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

This is the OTA that everyone who isn't running a custom rom is getting. If they don't want to wait for the OTA update, there is a link to download the update.

3. bosh

bosh Active Member

Has anyone had the "silent bug" strike since they've got the update? I wonder how effective the fix was.
    I haven't had the bug show its head since the update, but I don't talk on my eris that much.
    Anyone else??

4. ndsustudent

ndsustudent Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten it yet, and my phone seems to be much more responsive since getting the update. Most notably with the dialer, before if I hung up with someone I wouldn't be able to make a call for a solid minute or 2 while it did who knows what. But now I can make calls back to back with no problems and no silent bug problems. So it looks like they did some changing around the dialing program.

5. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

I've never gotten the silent bug. But my question is, I thought it was a hardware problem with the microphone and speaker? I know you can fix things with software but if it's hardware then to me that would mean the only way to fix it would be new hardware. I dunno, maybe I'm not informed properly or just being really dumb right now. Lol.

I also have noticed faster dialing speeds less keyboard lag etc... Hopefully it stays like this. Other than that though I really haven't noticed any difference. They said improved messaging functionality was going to be included also... does anyone know what this means? Has anyone figured it out?

6. mant

OK, I didn't realize that. I thought the OTA update that everyone was discussing was the 2.1 upgrade. So, I am very interested in hearing if it was successful for everyone.

7. ShPerryman

ShPerryman Member

Had silent calls usually at least once a day, got the update yesterday and so far so good. Of course I've only had a few calls since then, but if nothing else it's better than it was. I'm currently working on breaking my habit of restarting my phone after every call. I'm currently at 19hrs with no problems or silence.

8. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

9. mant

/crosses fingers

The file on the verizonforums site is called:
    OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.37.605.4_2.36.605.1_release.zip\

The one in your link is:
    OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.37.605.4_2.36.605.1_release-1.zip\

andrizoid please keep us posted if you try this

10. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

It's possible to solve a hardware problem by changing the software to avoid the problem. For instance, if there's a bad sector on your hard drive, that's a hardware problem. But when you scan the drive for errors and identify the bad sector, the hard drive will learn to avoid using that sector, so the problem is "solved" with software. Technically it's not solved, but it's worked around.

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Some hardware issues are software related in a compatibility way. If the particular area can be identified, even if it has to do with a poor interface, sometimes a patch will teach the software to deal with it, circumvent/bypass it or actually exploit the lack of compatibility to bring about a desired functionality.

12. djtimmy

djtimmy Member

13. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

Since people who got the problem managed to "fix" it by rebooting the phone, its a software problem.
    A problem with the hardware would mean that the microphone or speaker would refuse to work at all times and a reboot wouldn't fix it.

14. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

It was pretty much confirmed (notice I said pretty much) that the Silent Bug was a Sense problem, since it only seems to happen to HTC Sense phones...

15. mant

From what I've been reading, the problem is that the audio drivers shut down when the phone sleeps, and they can't restart. Does waking the phone into Sense conflict with the driver reboot?

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with the update and what their results were.

16. SUPERSPORT

SUPERSPORT Active Member

Can someone explain exactly what the "Silent Call" bug is? Since the 2.1 update my wife and I have 3 issues that make this phone useless that could be the Silent Call bug.
    1. During phone call I hear nothing and other party hears nothing.
    2. On in-coming call my phone does not ring. Have to keep checking for missed call notification.
    3. On in-coming call my phone does not ring and I get no kind of notification at all so I have no idea anyone called.
    I've been assuming the SC bug was #1 but the others are just as bad. I'm an on-call semi driver at UPS and I keep missing work because of this stupid phone.

17. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Yes that is the silent call bug.

18. cbrunocme

cbrunocme New Member

I'm on Plain Jane 2.0 and have had the silent Bug twice in the last two days.

19. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Those symptoms all point to the speaker hardware and/or software being the problem, commonly called "The Silent Call Bug."

20. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

I haven't had the silent bug since flashing the new radio! :) Thank you HTC/Verizon for improving and supporting the Eris.

21. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Well the least they could do was get the phone in a fully working and reliable state.

22. laurentypo

laurentypo Well-Known Member

My phone has recently started having the silent bug, but only since the OTA update a few days ago. This is the 3rd Eris I've been sent. The first one was unresponsive, the 2nd had the horrible silent bug, the 3rd was fine....until the other day.

*sigh*

23. Rick620

Rick620 Member

fyi. flashing new radio that ends in .27 fixes silent bug..

24. mant

How long have you been using it?

25. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

Where is that new radio available?
    How do you fluch it?
    Peter