• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FIXED!!4-12]Root+recovery on 4.1.2 without downgrade

OK.. .worked like a charm... but where is the pop-up browser? Haven't used it (never played with a note or S3)... can't seem to find the app link anywhere.

I didn't include it in this one. I wanted to make this root 100% stock so it wouldn't **** up the next ota. flashable one attached below

Attachments

• popupbrowser.zip
    290.3 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
Oh cool... yeah, that was actually on my mind.... No offense, but I was a little unsure about being beholden to one-off updates, especially since the process gets rather involved. But now that I've done it, I am going to start making some backups at various stages and saving them off so I can make things a little smoother.

By the way... it worked like a champ, and... as an added benefit, your method removed the unlocked padlock badge of shame on boot. :) I've had that since I shoehorned the original JB on there. So now I am at ME1, root, with the ICS bootloader... all without the "THIS F'ER SCREWED WITH HIS PHONE" scarlett letter that VZ might see if I ever had to go in with a problem.

Bueno!

Upvote 0
I loaded that zip but had to back it out a couple of days later.... got into some odd boot loop where it would just croak and come up and through the "Updating Android, Apps 1 of 3" screen... phone would come up and boot a couple of minutes later. I restored with a backup I made just prior, hasn't booted since.

Could something that simple cause that kind of behavior?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your hard work!

I seem to be having a problem - after the first install do I let it boot or should I prevent that and perform the second install?

I let it boot and got stuck on the Samsung screen. Tried the installer again and got stuck in a boot/boot recovery loop.

Few hours later I finally got back to stock/updated 4.1.2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated immensely.

EDIT: finally got back to trying it again and it worked! (I accidentally threw my notes into the recycle but my Stellar had updated to a different ME1, don't know when/if it made a difference).

Booted into TWRP and ran a backup (perhaps I shouldn't have checked the extra checkmarks, also tried to save on my external sdcard, didn't work)

Booted up AOK, ran the 2nd installer and did notice the "unlocked" lock but wasn't really paying attention when I should have - restored some data (messages, wallpaper, wifi) and that messed it all up! Thought this would have worked though..

So perhaps I've been out of the loop but I since all of my previous backups from device-device have worked I thought everything else would.

sorry for the long EDIT - I'll begin again, but for anybody else following IT DOES WORK! I'll post a follow up next instead of an edit:)

Upvote 0
since nobody else has replied for a while i'll just say this - i sorta have superuser permissions, but not totally.... figured it out - supersu needs supersu pro for certain functions? perhaps.

still have the unlock symbol but i'll try to reflash the old bootloader again.
twrp works also backing up on the external sdcard

perhaps i was too tired or too many beers.

and thanks again billard412.

Upvote 0
:( I have been trying to root my stellar for weeks. :(

:thinking: I tried everything I can think of, and read this whole thread over & over.:thinking:
The boot loader just won't recognize my phone in download mode.

If I plug it in in regular mode it recognizes it in com5. If I then boot into DL mode it drops the phone.
I have redownloaded the Win Drivers and installed them again. I have redownloaded the boot loader thinking maybe it was corrupt. And of course unplugged & plugged back in numerous times.

The one thing I think it might be, is I just got this phone from Verizon on 9/3/13. Could it possibly be because Jelly Bean 4.1.2 has been updated OTA. I can't really tell for sure. About the phone says;

Software Update

Status, Show status of battery, network, and other information

Android Version 4.1.2

Baseband Version l200VRBME1

Kernal Version 30.0.31, se.infra@SEPT-138 #1, SMP PREEMPT Mon May 13, 02:53:07 KST 2013

Build Number JZO54K.1200VRBME1

Hardware Version l1200.04

If you can't tell I am somewhat of a newbie at this. :)
If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it, thanks

Upvote 0
:thumb: I am Rooted !! :thumb:​

:eek: Stupid or I should say Ignorant me, I wasn't in DL mode. I was in the mode for factory restore etc. :eek:

I googled for how to get into DL mode, and read to use the up volume button. That's how to get into the wrong mode on a Stellar.
So I started reading this thread again, and found where someone said to use the down volume button. The down button worked and put me in DL mode.​

:( My first try at rooting didn't work right. Something went wrong and I was stuck with "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped". I am not going to go into detail about that. All I can say is it is a pita. :banghead:​

:shakehands: Sooo, I did a factory restore and tried again and all went well. :shakehands:​

:dontknow: Whithout this thread I don't think I would ever have gotten my phone rooted. :dontknow:​

:cheers: I would like to say wholeheartedly a "Thank You" to the OP billard412 and everyone else who contributed to this thread. :cheers:​

Upvote 0
:thumb: I am Rooted !! :thumb:​

:( My first try at rooting didn't work right. Something went wrong and I was stuck with "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped". I am not going to go into detail about that. All I can say is it is a pita. :banghead:​

:shakehands: Sooo, I did a factory restore and tried again and all went well. :shakehands:​

OK, now being unrooted, I couldn't do a NAND backup or anything else... but, since everything's been synced on the phone for awhile I wasn't worried about losing things so I took a shot as well.

First - I went to Step 4 and did the MA1 flash. I ended up where he did with that same error loop, read a bunch more for clues (missed this post somehow) and reviewing all the file options - I just did the modified ME1 flash?

So I'm rooted, back to where I was AND didn't lose a thing! Don't ask me how, I didn't need to put an old bootloader back or anything like that. Now I'm just trying to figure out how with Root to strip out the VZW bloatware and get things loaded to the Ext SD card for some decent space!

I'm about to use the handset as a pure VoIP/WiFi handset sans VZW, so all that junk needs to be gone. I believe I have a couple of Carrier flash options now if I want to get it back to 3G/4G service in the future as well. Any thoughts on an App2SD type thing that'll work with this? That one never has even rooted... Feel free to point me at other threads vs. this one for that stuff.

But a big thanks for this thread too!!

Upvote 0
Don't over complicate the process. Just read post 1 in this thread carefully, and follow the directions. Start the bootloader, THEN connect your phone. It should then recognize your phone. Then push the button to start the process. Once it is started, don't touch your phone, until you are absolutely sure it is done.

If you have any problems, or you are successful, post back here. Then you can get help, or let other future users know it works. :)

Upvote 0
OK LISTEN UP.
The update IS safe.
With that said, it will most likely fail if you used my root method in the op. I have an updated root method for the new update uploading now. Here is the steps to get the OTA and keep ur shit intact.

1)Do a nandroid backup of ONLY data in twrp.
2)Backup your entire internal storage to pc
3)Revert back to ICS using my one-click here (this will wipe internal storage)
4)Accept all of vzw's updates all the way to the new ME1
5)Flash my new ME1 one-click here to root it
6)Flash the old bootloader here
7)Download goo manager from the play store and use it to reflash TWRP
8)Put all your stuff back on your internal sd and restore the data nandroid from step 1

Thats how its done bitches. With that said the new update doesnt seem like much but here ya go if u want it. Again this is only if you used my root in the op. If you are still total stock w/o root then start at step 4

Hi guys, I'm relatively new to the ROOT world in Android. I have ROOTed 4 phones now and am really starting to get the hang of this massive world of new terms and processes and unique knowledge and everything that IS Android and ROOTing. I love it thus far and refuse to own any other phone besides an Android and doubly refuse to own an unROOTed phone. Anyway, I have been reading and studying this thread for days now trying to figure out how to ROOT this phone. I have to admit that it has been quite confusing and hard to grasp a hold of, but I thing I have finally gotten to the point where I'm comfortable at giving ROOT a shot with this phone. I have the ME1 OTA version, and I downloaded the goomanager appto install TWRP recovery on the phone because I want to do a Nandroid backup of everything prior to ROOTing just in case. So I got TWRP installed successfully and downloaded the ME1 one-click to flash and achieve ROOT. I also downloaded the old Bootloader to flash as well but when I DL'ed it I noticed that it was in .exe format and I have no idea how to flash an .exe file. This is NOT my phone and I can NOT afford to mess this up in any way so I am being extremely cautious with this entire process. Can someone please tell me how to flash the old bootloader using TWRP recovery. While I'm at it I'd like to go ahead and give my thanks to the Thread Author, billard412 (<--only 8 minutes away from bliss :D) for his devotion to figuring this phone out. It seems like an extra pain in the ass phone to root compared to most others. Thanks also to everyone else who has contributed to the development of this phone. Anyway, long post for what is probably an easily answered question I know, but it is my very first post on this sight so......yeah. Okay I'm done, please, anyone, explain this confusing issue to me. Thanks again guys.

WOW-----
lol @ self..... If I'd only thought about this for just a few more minutes before posting I would have not needed to post at all. I;m not sure if what I figured out is the only/right way to do what I was trying to do but it is A way to do it. I remember always seeing in custom recovery the option to install ZIP and install ZIP from SD card so I figured how the hell am I supposed to install an .exe? Well after my post I opened up the ME1 one-click ZIP that I DL'ed and noticed that, WOW, the file inside the ZIP is also an .exe file. So, duh, just compress the other .exe file into a ZIP. LMAO. Now, again I'm not sure if thats the only answer to my original question but I know that that answer WILL work. So I guess if there IS an alternate answer to this question that has plagued me for the better part of an hour then please, someone post it. Otherwise, if there's anyone else who happens to get hung up on the same issue as I did then hopefully this post will help them out.

LOL, SMH @ self.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones