[Fixed]Duplicate contacts- from google + outlook

Last Updated:

1. Michaeljc70

Michaeljc70 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my Hero. I used HTC sync to sync my calendar/contacts with outlook. Outlook has previously been synced with gmail.

Now I have a ton of duplicate contacts. Obviously I shouldn't have synced contacts from Outlook and just let them sync from Google. Is there any easy way to fix this and get rid of all the Outlook contacts?

Advertisement
  2. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

Click the People icon from All programs, then press

Menu > View > In the "Contact Source", just have Google checked.

Hope this helps.

Chegs.

3. Michaeljc70

Thanks. There is actually in option in there to only show one (phone/google) when there are duplicates. However, having duplicates is taking up memory and I also have duplicate calendar items (for same reason). Is there a way to clear the outlook data entirely?

4. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

So you want to remove all the "Phone" entries?

If you do, click the following -

People > Menu > View > Make sure just "Phone" is checked > Press OK > Menu > Delete contacts > Menu > Select All > Done

Then press Menu > View > Select Google and you'll have removed the Outlook details, retaining and using just the Google one.

Ta taaaa!! :D

Chegs.

**EDIT** Not sure about the Calendar entries, do you have many to remove?

5. Michaeljc70

I do have a lot of calendar entries.

I ordered a 16gb card to replace the 2gb card that my Hero came with. Where are the contacts/calendar stuff stored? Will replacing the card without copying over files get rid of that stuff?

Anyone know what exactly it will get rid of (hate to lose my scenes, homescreen,etc)?

6. T Mac

T Mac Well-Known Member

Thanks, this worked for me and deleted all the outlook duplicate contacts. I would advise NOT to use HTC sync any longer.

7. aarongale

aarongale New Member

Thanks cheggerspop, had the same issue with duplicate contacts and first search for a solution came across this answer and this forum. Joined just to say thanks and I think I'll be using this site quite often now.

8. douglaslem88

douglaslem88 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help, I searched the forums and found this. I have the opposite problem, I want to delete the google contacts and keep Outlook so I will follow your directions. Thanks a lot

9. leftonred

leftonred New Member

i had the same problem with 3 entries for each calendar entry. here's how to get rid of them:

calendar > menu > calendars then un-check the offending duplicate calanders.

lefty