• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root |FIXED|HTC Hero wont boot after installing a .zip

amarb70

Lurker
Mar 5, 2011
okay im like i would say fairly new to this whole flashing bussiness
buh like yesterday i tryed to flash a .zip file , Fabolous_GBKB_Fix-signed.zip which is basically the 2.3 keyboard, and after in doin so my htc hung at the bootscreen; the HeRO screen.

i had realised after that the .zip file was for 2.2 NOT 2.1; so my bad there :/
ive tried the 'Wipe data/factory reset' and the 'Wipe cache partition' many times buh it still wouldn't boot :(

my phone , before the flashing of the .zip, was on stock 2.1 with no custom rom and was rooted using the Universal Root method
also i had preformed a clockword mod backup of my phone , which i have saftely kept.
i can also by the way access FASTBOOT ..

i dont have a custom recovery, just the stock one :/ which i can access btw, and also i have tryed to flash/boot custom recovery .img's using fastboot buh unfortunelty it fails.

any idea guys ?
thanks ..

edit*** FIXED .. please close
all that was required was a simple RUU update :) .. thank god
thank you SLUG for your help :p :)

also i had preformed a clockword mod backup of my phone , which i have saftely kept.

The obvious solution would be to restore that backup then...

i dont have a custom recovery, just the stock one :/

...except for this. How did you manage to back up with CWM if you don't have the recovery installed? :thinking:

Upvote 0
The obvious solution would be to restore that backup then...
hmmm .. this is what i would like to doo

...except for this. How did you manage to back up with CWM if you don't have the recovery installed?
basically i used rom manager to flash the cwm and it did
but after a reboot it would go back to the stock recovery ..

so like my steps what i did before flashing the .zip

1)Open rom manager and flash cwm
2)using rom manager i installed 'rom' , the .zip file
3)it flashed the .zip and rebooted
4)after reboot it hung at HeRO screen :(

and since the stock recovery overwrites the cmw, dunno why tbh :// maybe because i used the 'universal root and superuser' method to root? , it goes into the stock revovery everytime i hold 'power and home'
understand? or have i confused you ? :S sorry if i have ...

Upvote 0
**sorry for the post again .. i am not sure where to put this .. please move if not in right section :)

okay im like i would say fairly new to this whole flashing bussiness
buh like yesterday i tryed to flash a .zip file , Fabolous_GBKB_Fix-signed.zip which is basically the 2.3 keyboard, and after in doin so my htc hung at the bootscreen; the HeRO screen.

i had realised after that the .zip file was for 2.2 NOT 2.1; so my bad there :/
ive tried the 'Wipe data/factory reset' and the 'Wipe cache partition' many times buh it still wouldn't boot

my phone , before the flashing of the .zip, was on stock 2.1 with no custom rom and was rooted using the Universal Root method
i can also by the way access FASTBOOT ..

i dont have a custom recovery, just the stock one :/ which i can access btw, and also i have tryed to flash/boot custom recovery .img's using fastboot buh unfortunelty it fails.

alsoo ...
basically i used rom manager to flash the cwm and it did
but after a reboot it would go back to the stock recovery ..

so like my steps what i did before flashing the .zip

1)Open rom manager and flash cwm
2)using rom manager i installed 'rom' , the .zip file
3)it flashed the .zip and rebooted
4)after reboot it hung at HeRO screen

and since the stock recovery overwrites the cmw, dunno why tbh :// maybe because i used the 'universal root and superuser' method to root? , it goes into the stock revovery everytime i hold 'power and home'
understand? or have i confused you ? :S sorry if i have ...

any idea guys ?
thanks ..

edit*** FIXED .. please close
all that was required was a simple RUU update :) .. thank god
thank you SLUG for your help :p :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones