"Fixed" my Wifi problem at homeSupport

Last Updated:

1. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been having problems, with both my D1 and warranty replacement D2, with wifi at home.

Everything else I throw at my network connects and stays connected w/out issue.

My D1 and D2 would connect and then after less than 10 minutes lose internet access - still show full connection/strong signal strength, but web broswer, email, market, etc., could not access the internet.

Tried changing channels, changing security, rebooting router and phone, and nothing seemed to help. Router is a SMC BarricadeN. Router had the current FW release.

Yesterday finally decided to try another router - I had Netgear Rangemax N (WNR834B) router around that I wasn't using, as it had been a little flaky. I checked and confirmed it supported DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router) and decided to try that to see if the open-source FW would fix the router's flakiness and fix my phone Droid issues. (SMC router is not supported.)

Flashed the DD-WRT FW and put the router in place and D2 connected and stays connected w/out issue. Using same security I used on the SMC (WPA/WPA2 w/AES-TKIP). Router appears to be working well, haven't seen any issues yet.

So my D1/D2 wifi connection issues turned out to be something between the SMC router and my D1 and D2 that didn't get along.

Very happy camper now...anyone wanna buy a SMC BarricadeN router? :D

Advertisement
    jon hazle likes this.
  2. jon hazle

jon hazle Active Member

Gah I have a freakin motorola wifi/cable modem.. their own radios should work!! But mine does the same thing. Thanks for the info at least I know there is hope.

3. Redflea

4. jon hazle

jon hazle Active Member

Oh that looks good. It would be nice to have a router with space for more that 40 firewall rules.

5. Redflea

Yeah, I'm tempted...my replacement router doesn't have gigabit ports, and it tasks me (to quote Khan)... ;)