FIXED Sprint mms problem/APN settings

1. Packdog

Packdog Member

Ok, backstory: New Evo (sprint, obviously), had a friend try to send me a pic message but it would not download saying "generic network failure." Someone said it was probably becuase the sender was on a different carrier. Later I tried to send out a pic, but it didn't work either saying "generic network failure" and "message not downloaded." Tech support is, as always, useless so I had to find the fix myself. Below is the fix, not a work around, the real fix (for other carriers your MMSC address will be different).

Using "APN Backup & Restore," which is free on the market, you need to backup your APN file. Name it "APN-Broken.xml". Connect your phone to your computer as "disk drive" and using notepad correct the code to match what is shown below or just cut and paste.

FIXED Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <apns count="1">
    <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
    </apns>

Save your changes as "APN-Fixed" and make SURE it is saved as a .xml. Using APN Baqckup & Restore again, restore your new APN. Perform a soft reboot and you are back in business.

Original Broken Code: In bold is what I think the problem is...
    <apns count="1">
    <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1apndroid" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mmsapndroid" />
    </apns>

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Odd...I wonder how it gets changed.

I am not on a sense based rom currently to verify but doesnt restoring the data profile reset the apn settings?
  3. Packdog

Packdog Member

"reset the data profile?" I'm not sure I understand what you mean, I'm pretty new to the android platform... are you talking about a factory reset?
  4. E30Nova

E30Nova Well-Known Member

Dang...I was hoping this would fix my MMS issue in MIUI so I did everything and my MMS still doesn't work. :(
  5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

It is in menu.settings.updates

Or can be forced by following the directions I posted for faster 3g
  6. gm87

gm87 New Member

Thanks OP! I'm trying this out now and will post with any questions. Have been frustrated for sometime about this!!

Fingers crossed .
  7. Dgulli

Dgulli New Member

I have had a similar problem for months. After completing your fix all of the messages that were not able to download before downloaded. Thank you!
  8. dublinx

dublinx New Member

Having this problem since an text/tower outage in my area 4 days ago.
    My default apn settings are a little different

<apns count="1">
    <apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
    </apns>

I am setting my mmsproxy and port to null and doing a retry
    --
    p.s. Why are so many having this problem? I am chapped!!!
    I did a factory reset prior to my soon to be attempted 2nd fix.
    The factory reset did NOTHING!!!!
  9. bscabl

bscabl Member

my apn is even stranger than this... i have 3 listings..

<apns count="3">
    <apn name="Sprint" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
    <apn name="Sprint World" numeric="3161" mcc="316" mnc="1" apn="cinet.spcs" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="default" />
    <apn name="Sprint" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="1" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="mms" />
    </apns>

needless to say, im not sure what to do here.
  10. skydiverscott

skydiverscott New Member

My settings were:
    apn="-1"
    type="-mms"

I changed to "1" & "mms" and it fixed the issue,

Thanks for the great post!
  11. Malibu108

Malibu108 New Member

skydiverscott and anyone out there: I am newbie to Evo and smart phone, are you following the step by step by packdog by way of hooked your cell phone to your computer? DO you know a way without using the computer? Thanks for the help.
  12. djqwikcut

djqwikcut Well-Known Member

13. schoudha

schoudha New Member

I m having HTC Evo 4G (Relance network, India). Can you help me to do these settings on my phone, because there is no option like APN.

Settings --> Wireless and Networks --> Mobile Networks
    Under CDMA TAB select Access Point Names
    Go To Menu --> New APN
    Fill up the following details
    Name : Reliance Netconnect
    PPP Digit : #777
    User name : <10 Digit Mobile Number>
    Password : <10 Digit Mobile Number>
    Go To Menu --> Save
    Select the newly created APN