• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flash and internal memory

Scary

Jul 6, 2010
I've long struggled with very low internal memory on my Desire. It hovers around 89% (figure from Adao File Manager) - the warning notification pops up when it reaches 90%. Flash and Maps were each taking up 11MB; the largest apps on the phone and neither could go onto SD.

Both keep increasing in size with every update so I thought I'd see what would happen if did an 'uninstall updates' on both and then updated straight to the latest one.

Flash went back to the factory version and according to the Applications settings menu it's taking up no space and I'd freed up almost 9% of my phone memory despite Flash working fine. Updating Flash takes it back up to 11MB even though the size in market says 4MB. I uninstalled again and went back to factory version
Maps did the same thing (although in that case I've updated it to the most recent as there's stuff I miss)

Is this normal? why should an update to a factory installed bit of software take up so much space? It's as if it's installing a complete new app rather than updating the pre-existing one

Android and the pre installed apps are on the /system partition which you cannot use, therefore is not accounted for in "internal storage".

Your apps download and install to the /data partition "internal storage"

/system is read only, so updates cannot be installed here, ergo they install the apps (full versions) in /data.
Ahhh, that explains it.

It's a bit silly though, as soon as you install an 'update' you've got 2 versions of the app on your phone.

And 11MB for flash seems a lot of space to waste - the market says it's only 4MB, I assume the other 6 are unpacked in installation?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones