Flash? BBC streamingSupport

Last Updated:

1. action09

action09 Member This Topic's Starter

Still waiting for my Desire to arrive, but I read on coolsmartphone that people were having difficulty with the BBC iplayer. I was under the impression that the Desire handeled flash....does anyone have any comments? Can you listed / watch the embedded audio/video files on the BBC wedsites???? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

I saw a video - I think it was from tracyandmatt.co.uk - where they played a video from the bbc homepage.

I think the reviewer mentioned at the time that it wasn't perfect but certainly watch-able.

I'm not sure about the iPlayer.

3. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could play bbc iplayer on it :)

4. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

Theres the free beebPlayer app on the market which plays a lot of stuff from iPlayer. Its not very good but its better than nothing for the moment.

5. Cleargrey

Cleargrey Well-Known Member

Indeed the official iPlayer app is meant to be a bit rubbish.

Try this app which is meant to be decent. I'll be trying it when I get mine. Let me know how it is if you try it.

6. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

I meant beebPlayer app is not very good. I would prefer the real iPlayer if theres anyway of getting it to play? Ive tried the iPlayer website on the standard Internet app and it doesnt work. I wonder if other browsers like Opera Mini 5 would work on iPlayer?

7. Cleargrey

Cleargrey Well-Known Member

My mistake.

Beyond this news at this year's MWC, I too would like to know if it's possible to get a good iPlayer ... player.

8. action09

action09 Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the feedback.

What about the emnbedded audio files on the bbc (ie interviews), can they played direct fom the browser?

9. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

I went on the BBC Radio 1 pages and it seems to load the shows but nothing plays. Also there is no error icon unlike the actual video iPlayer? It might be because i didn't have my headphones connected?

10. Case

Case Well-Known Member

11. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

Nah thats beebPlayer, its not as good as iPlayer.

12. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ah, right. Sorry, didn't know that.

13. Ringosis

Ringosis Member

Yeah...that is an extremely misleading video. He says "some people said they have been having problems with beebplayer but it seems to be working ok on this device" seconds after he just experienced one of the major problems it has after using the app for less than a minute.

Go to iplayer on your PC and look for the F1 coverage, it is available, it is just inaccessible with the app. The search function doesn't find a large portion of available content and the "Highlights" menu is missing a bunch of programs that are featured as highlights on the actual site.

On top of that the play back is pretty stuttery (not a bandwidth issue, have a strong signal to an otherwised unused 20mb connection). The stuff that you can get to play is watchable but the app is a long way from perfect.

14. android_desire

android_desire New Member

The beebplayer is discontinued. Has anyone download the .apk file or could email it to me please so i can install it on my htc desire?

If not the beebplayer then any player that plays flash videos off the internet while browsing like bbc iplayer.

15. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

the desire has flash lite on it, but it wont work with iplayer as it is now.

but when we get version 2.2 of the android operating system in an expected update, we will then have flash 10.1 and it should work fine, maybe a bit slow.

16. martino

martino Active Member

It wouldn't work. The app just stopped working as there were no fixes to it since it has been discontinued.

17. masherthemash

masherthemash Active Member

Beebplayer still works on mine although won't play live tv.

Google "beebplayer.apk" and you'll find it available to download in megaupload.

18. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else's Beebplayer stop after 5 minutes and then you have to resume from that point? Very annoying but I suppose it is discontinued.