• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flash custom ROM w/o external SD card

denseSn0w

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
[First, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum, I've used so many of your directions to root, backup + modify my phone so far.]

My question is: am I able to flash a custom ROM to my phone (Huawei Premia) without an external SD card? I know it would be the easiest way, but I don't have an SD card yet and don't know when I'll get one.

I've rooted my phone and have CWM recovery. I downloaded to my PC the ROM file <stock78.2.zip> + it's available in my phone's file system because I put it there with USB (debugged mode).

When I reboot into recovery mode, I go to "Install zip from sdcard" > "Choose zip from sdcard" > but the only available options therein are

0/
clockworkmod/

Should I have files located here?

Cheers.

I don't use ES File or Astro, but do have ROM Manager and Titanium Backup -- and when I search for it in both, I see the custom ROM. I can also find it when I check my Android's stock File Manager.

It's located in 'Internal' though, since I don't have an external SD card. (That's the same parent directory where Titanium Backup and Nandroid Manager folders are kept.)

Upvote 0
I don't use ES File or Astro, but do have ROM Manager and Titanium Backup -- and when I search for it in both, I see the custom ROM. I can also find it when I check my Android's stock File Manager.

Cheers

And where exactly is the file located. For CWM to see it without browsing for it, it should be in the root of the /sdcard partition.

What version of CWM do you have?

Upvote 0
And where exactly is the file located. For CWM to see it without browsing for it, it should be in the root of the /sdcard partition.

What version of CWM do you have?
Looking at ROM Manager app, it says "Current directory > /sdcard".

It's in the same location where you'll find the parent folders for Pictures, Movies, Music, as well as:

clockworkmod/
DCIM/
rhapsody/
TitaniumBackup/

Just to note, cos I had to edit my last post:
It's located in 'Internal' rather than external SD Card (since I don't have external).

It is CWM Touch Req0very v1.0.3.4

Upvote 0
Looking at ROM Manager app, it says "Current directory > /sdcard".

It's in the same location where you'll find the parent folders for Pictures, Movies, Music, as well as:

clockworkmod/
DCIM/
rhapsody/
TitaniumBackup/

Just to note, cos I had to edit my last post:
It's located in 'Internal' rather than external SD Card (since I don't have external).

It is CWM Touch Req0very v1.0.3.4

On your phone when you go through root browser go to mnt>sdcard2 and that's where the zip should be located, when you flash it via cwm it should show up if its in the sdcard2 folder.

Upvote 0
If you and you should, use a root enabled file explorer you will find the directory structure is ... Going from root, shown as ROOT in es file man. And others, you can then go to 'mnt' ie. The mount points for the sdcards among others. The sdcard is the internal memory that has been partitiomed by android to be the Int SdCard. The econd listing, the sdcard2 is wher the external chip would be mounted as the second card
If you have no ext chip to use you might be able to fit the ROM in the available space. I have alot of stuff and I still show 1.35gb still available. I suggest you try the app root explorer it will show the used and available space so you have a better handle what's going on. DO NOT USE SDCARD2... You shouldn't be able to place anything there but just so youknow. If you have space then place the zip file on the 'sdcard' just drop it in the card not in any folder. If after this you cannot find it thru recover y you had said that it was finding only the clockworkmod directory, so then fine move it there and try again. There is a way that I've used and know works in most cases. Rename the file to update.zip and leave it at the root of the into SD. Is. Don't put it in any directory, just the base or root of the sdcard folder.
The update.zip is how the devices do auto updates from the phone co. Its an automated process, and I repeat try this last but it should work. I sell TV sticks and after rooting I use this method to update all the apps, both system and user. This because it can be difficult at times sometimes the remote won't work correctly in recovery. So I just drop a prepped update.zip in and recovery installs it automatically. Also DO NOT OPEN the zip files or edit them. They are 'signed' and opening them not just looking but actually opwning the archive will break the signature. The safest way is to use 7zip or winrar under windows and even then not open just view is safe. (Do not use WinZip it breaks the package.)

I hope this some help to you.
Great Roms currently on Shadow Wolf will be trying nano later today.
Thanks everyone!
Ben

Upvote 0
Just a short addition, The mount points on Android are confusing and change their actual physi am layout from one phone to the next. Symbolic links are used. These are 'locations' that are linked from what you see to their actual location. Think of shortcuts under windows. You create a link on your desktop to the file or applications actual location. So mnt/sdcard is your INT SDCARD, mnt/SDCARD2 is the external. You will also see an sdcard listing in the base or root as well and yes it is the same sdcard. There are actually several locations where portions of the sdcard can be found. For consistency I use mnt and then the card.
Later.
Ben

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones