• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flash in Default Browser?

androidn0te

Mar 27, 2014
I decided to use the default Samsung Browser for internet, as I had read that Google Chrome was having issues dealing with Flash.

However, I clicked on a video the other day on my Note 2 that gave me the message saying I needed to install flash (but I was unable to).

Can the default Samsung Note 2 internet browser handled flash videos, and if so, any ideas why it wont install on my device?

Thanks!

It's going to be dependent on the site as well. I've noticed some saying the phone had an earlier version and needed to be updated to a later version. Since flash is no longer developed for Android, I had to look at other alternatives.

I mainly use Chrome nowadays. But for the sites that need flash, I switch to Puffin browser since it uses the latest flash version and compatible with the sites I need it. And I no longer need to have flash installed to have it work. The only problem is it needs to connect to their cloud service network for it. So if I cannot connect to their cloud network, I cannot use the browser.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. It's weird, as I've tried to duplicate the error but many sites that run videos in flash (like linking to YouTube videos) or using things like the Spring board player seem to work fine.

So I guess I'll change the topic and bit and ask this question; Is Chrome actually the better browser over all? I've found many to suggest the up till recently, Samsung's default browser was just as good (and better in in some respects).

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. It's weird, as I've tried to duplicate the error but many sites that run videos in flash (like linking to YouTube videos) or using things like the Spring board player seem to work fine.

So I guess I'll change the topic and bit and ask this question; Is Chrome actually the better browser over all? I've found many to suggest the up till recently, Samsung's default browser was just as good (and better in in some respects).

Any thoughts?

I like Chrome for browsing, but no flash. So, I have to use Boat or a hacked version of Dolphin (on kitkat) to watch flash based videos. I have Amazon Prime so I like to watch the movies.

Upvote 0
I like Chrome for browsing, but no flash. So, I have to use Boat or a hacked version of Dolphin (on kitkat) to watch flash based videos. I have Amazon Prime so I like to watch the movies.

Question:

If no flash on Chrome, what led you to choose Boat over Stock Samsung browser (as Samsung stock IE browser seems to handle all flash content pretty well or am I wrong?)

Upvote 0
Question:

If no flash on Chrome, what led you to choose Boat over Stock Samsung browser (as Samsung stock IE browser seems to handle all flash content pretty well or am I wrong?)

Boat is a very lightweight browser. I've been using it on/off for years. The devs are always making improvements so I've been partial to it. Plus, I flash different ROMs and sometimes I use an AOSP ROM so I don't see the Samsung browser all the time. Stock has been ok over the years.

Upvote 0
Dont mean to cut you off but how is it puffin and a few other browsers have this flash but chrome doesn't . and that is kitkat browsers I am speaking about . puffin has it in the paid but hey chrome Dont have at all . why or how

I guess because Adobe dropped further support and dropped any new flash updates. I'm not sure but someone with more knowledge of flash and what happened can chime in.

Upvote 0
Adobe dropped Android Flash support with ICS. No more developments or updates. Unfortunately, I do not know the reason why.

I do need a mix of either Flash or Java for the CE courses I take. And like all things, I need the latest version to work or it will give an error and most of the time will not work. The only browser I found that seems compatible is Puffin (paid version). Their version of flash is more upto date and stored on the cloud I believe. It works for me and I no longer need to have the outdated flash installed from Adobe.

Not sure why Android won't support flash natively or vice versa with Adobe not supporting Android.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I don't understand this quote? If my Note 2 can play flash videos via the default Samsung browser, how is Flash not supported?

Adobe dropped any and all support after ICS. In other words, you cannot email them for help because they are not doing any further development and they stopped doing any further updates. Basically, if it works for you, you're lucky. If not, your officially SOL. There are other alternatives but you would need to root your phone or use other browsers as mentioned above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones