Flash is the reason I'm considering not to buy this phone

Last Updated:

1. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on verizon right now with the droid incredible. Soon, I will be getting off my family plan, suffering the terrible early termination fee, and either creating my own plan with verizon, or switching to at&t for the samsung captivate. But there is one thing holding me back from getting the captivate and sticking with my incredible. Although this should be the call signal and quality of verizon, and at&t, i am kind of worried about not having camera flash on the phone. I won't wait until the samsung fascinate comes out on verizon. Also the captivate is only $90 on amazon.com. What do you guys think I should do.

Basically I can get any phone on any carrier but I'm not sure what to do. I don't want a screen bigger than 4.0" or smaller than 3.7".

Advertisement
  2. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member

Amazing how much people expect from their "PHONES " now days isn't it? Man I remember 8 yrs ago I was happy with the Nokia 6190, playing snake all day

And for $90 , can you really go wrong?

3. MrTony

MrTony Banned

Uhh...you're saying your Droid Incredible supports Flash in it's current state? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it only had Flash Lite 4.0, which is the same as the Captivate.

4. baji

baji Well-Known Member

Besides, Froyo is going to support flash 10.1 last I heard. And froyo isn't THAT far off.

5. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about Froyo,.. And I realize its the next big upgrade in software for us Android users, but is there a Clif note section of what its all gonna do compared to 2.1? Theres been much talk and threads about this , but I just dont have the time to search them all :(

6. mttfrog13

haha, sorry i mean camera flash

7. MrTony

MrTony Banned

Well, there's no Android phone on AT&Greed that has a flash at present. This MAY change tomorrow as the Dell Streak is SUPPOSED to go on sale and it has a dual flash.
    Sorry about my confusion with the camera flash. You just mentioned flash and froyo in the same sentence, which immediately registered as Adobe Flash in my mind.

8. baji

baji Well-Known Member

Here is some decent information. It's a few months old, though, so it might not be super accurate. Cool stuff though!

What Is Froyo?

9. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

10. GalaxyS609

GalaxyS609 Well-Known Member

If you dont want to buy a phone without a flash, then dont, its that simple, why make a big deal about it?

I know I did not buy my Captivate to replace any of my digital cameras, thats what digital cameras are for. Sure, its handy to have when I dont have one of my cameras with me, but thats all that cameras on phones should be, handy. Honestly what small percentage of the time are you going to need to take a pic in low light settings anyway?

If I'm going out with friends for the night, I put my compact camera in my girlfriends purse and we're set. If you dont have a girlfriend, get one, then stick a camera in her purse, problem solved :D

Jofaba likes this.
  11. mttfrog13

thanks for offering some insight into the issue. It seems whenever u want or expect better from a feature in a phone, someone says, oh well u should go buy a camera, or, you should go buy a tomtom etc. etc.

On the other hand, how satisfied are you guys with the phone in overall. How much would you recommend it?

12. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

It seems to me like you're lucky if your phone has everything right. To me, this phones is perfect. I got one of the ones with the good battery, lockable gps, etc. although I am coming from a crappy blackjack 2 that was literally held together by duct tape for more than half its life. i think it just depends on your phone experience. I would recommend this phone, but if I had come from an iphone out another smart phone, I'm not sure if I would so easily recommend it.

13. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

flash is really only good when the thing youre taking a picture of is fairly close. heres a comparison i did with my captivate and bold 9700:

captivate (no flash):
    [​IMG]

blackberry bold 9700 (no flash):
    [​IMG]

captivate (night mode):
    [​IMG]

blackberry bold 9700 (flash):
    [​IMG]

14. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

The Blackberry pics look better. Plus, you can use the flash as a flashlight (better than screen flashlight apps).

Really lame that the Captivate doesn't have flash, especially since it's cousin, the Epic on Sprint, comes with a flash and a front facing camera.

15. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

Really? To me the captivate one looks better. It looks more natural to me. plus the flash is gonna leave a glare on any windows you're trying to take a picture thru

Lostsoul likes this.
  16. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

You're right that natural lighting looks...more natural. But look at the last 2 pics of the taxi. The Cap's pic looks fuzzy because of the slower shutter speed. You have to hold the camera extra still. The Blackberry's picture is tack sharp and in focus. I can read the "welcome" text on the taxi's ad in the Blackberry's photo whereas it's illegible on the Cap's pic. Plus, if this were a video then the slow shutter would make it even worse vs having a LED light.

17. Lostsoul

Lostsoul Well-Known Member

Im happy with the night mode and camera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

If you always take close up pictures of stuff/people at night, then you probably want led flash. Otherwise, it's pointless. No, flashlight doesn't count. The Captivate is bright enough already with the screen brightness set to max.

19. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

I'm usually the guy championing "don't buy the phone if it doesn't have all the features you want"...but is flash really that big a deal? I don't mean to be rude, I just don't understand it.

20. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

Okay, bye.

21. Futang44

Futang44 Active Member

First off I thought you were talking about the plugin flash not the cameras flash. IMHO, the led flash casts a terrible light on the subject, and terrible shadows... And the plugin is such a resource hog that idk if I want it. My battery is pitiful enough w/o using either flash...

22. mttfrog13

thing is that the samsung fascinate is rumored to be released in august. My current service with verizon will be ending on about the 7th so I would be willing to go a couple of weeks without a phone.

The droid inc's release date was announced 2 weeks before the release of the phone so it is completely believable to me that the fascinate will be released next month. With the fascinate I will be getting better coverage, flash, and possibly a notification light. I do prefer the design of the captivate tho. The $90 price point is 'captivating' tho. I'm sure tho I will be able to find the fascinate somewhere for $150 tho. Decisions...decisions...

23. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

Are you using the "Holy cow my hands are shaky, fix it for me oh wonderful phone of mine" setting? I turned that on and it was much much better than if it was off.

[​IMG]

That was taken on my phone. Granted, its during the day light, but with touch focus and the "fix my shakyness" thing off, its actually a pretty good picture*. My camera cant do that. Or at least i dont know how.

*edit: it looks a lot better on my phone... :/

24. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Very rude and unhelpful. Don't turn this into macrumors.

25. GalaxyS609

GalaxyS609 Well-Known Member

picture looks pretty decent to me for only a 5MP camera phone. Maybe its because my monitor is a Samsung also? lol