• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Flash Jelly Bean : Is this Possible

monteie2016

Lurker
Aug 27, 2012
I recently purchase a Galaxy Nexus to experiment with Android. I am very happy with the hardware/software combination. Makes for a great experience. What I would like to do next is get Jelly Bean OS but unfortunately it is unavailable and no one can tell me when it will be. So...... What I would like to do is the following

I would like to flash the phone with a stock version of Google Jelly Bean so that I can get updates directly from Google and not have to wait on Samsung. I have been looking around at various tools and like the automation of the GNex Toolkit. Is this possible? I don't want to root the phone I just want to make it so that I can get updates via google.

Thanks

I recently purchase a Galaxy Nexus to experiment with Android. I am very happy with the hardware/software combination. Makes for a great experience. What I would like to do next is get Jelly Bean OS but unfortunately it is unavailable and no one can tell me when it will be. So...... What I would like to do is the following

I would like to flash the phone with a stock version of Google Jelly Bean so that I can get updates directly from Google and not have to wait on Samsung. I have been looking around at various tools and like the automation of the GNex Toolkit. Is this possible? I don't want to root the phone I just want to make it so that I can get updates via google.

Thanks

What GN do you have?

the international GSM version gets updates directly

ALL of the CDMA/LTE version (i.e. VZW) get their updates from the Carriers.

Either way you can't flash anything without rooting.

Upvote 0
What GN do you have?

the international GSM version gets updates directly

ALL of the CDMA/LTE version (i.e. VZW) get their updates from the Carriers.

That is not true. There are many variants of the international GSM Nexus. Only one international version and one US version get updates directly and those are the ones sold through the Google Play store. Any Nexus sold through a carrier in the US or abroad, is carrier dependent on getting updates.

To get updates directly from google, users will need to flash the Yakju build.

THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM DEVICES. SPRINT AND VERIZON CDMA/LTE DEVICES RUN A DIFFERENT BUILD AND YAKJU IS NOT COMPATIBLE. If you want Jelly Bean on a Verizon device you'll need to root and install a leaked build manually. Sprint has already released JB for their device.

For GSM owners: To see what build you have, go to maps > menu > about. There are many versions (yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjusc, yakjuzs, yakjudv, yakjukr and yakjujp).

To flash, go here

But you must UNLOCK your phone to flash it, and this will WIPE your device.

Upvote 0
That is not true. There are many variants of the international GSM Nexus. Only one international version and one US version get updates directly and those are the ones sold through the Google Play store. Any Nexus sold through a carrier in the US or abroad, is carrier dependent on getting updates.

To get updates directly from google, users will need to flash the Yakju build.

THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM DEVICES. SPRINT AND VERIZON CDMA/LTE DEVICES RUN A DIFFERENT BUILD AND YAKJU IS NOT COMPATIBLE. If you want Jelly Bean on a Verizon device you'll need to root and install a leaked build manually. Sprint has already released JB for their device.

For GSM owners: To see what build you have, go to maps > menu > about. There are many versions (yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjusc, yakjuzs, yakjudv, yakjukr and yakjujp).

To flash, go here

But you must UNLOCK your phone to flash it, and this will WIPE your device.

Just to note, if you use the procedures you are flashing the official Google Android release for the Nexus. You also only need to do this once, when you are finished the phone will be locked again and you will receive future updates directly from Google when they are released.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the great replies. Tim K thanks for pointing me to that guide it was exaclty what I have been looking for for the last couple of days.

Phone Info
Model - GT-I9250M
Build - Yakjuxx / maguro

The guide decribes the process to update Yakjuwx to Yakju. Even though my phone has the build of Yakjuxx does it still work? Also a the step where it says

Under ‘Back to Stock: Current status’, select Device is on if your device boots up fine or else select Can’t boot up if device is stuck in a boot loop or at the Google logo.

- Then click on Flash Stock + Unroot button. Press Ok if you’re ready.

Will this root the phone. I wanted the end result to as mogelijk described.

Thanks again guys.
:)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the great replies. Tim K thanks for pointing me to that guide it was exaclty what I have been looking for for the last couple of days.

Phone Info
Model - GT-I9250M
Build - Yakjuxx / maguro

The guide decribes the process to update Yakjuwx to Yakju. Even though my phone has the build of Yakjuxx does it still work? Also a the step where it says

Under

Upvote 0

Phone Info
Model - GT-I9250M
Build - Yakjuxx / maguro

Under

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone and especially you TimK for getting onto that guide. The process had some hiccups (my fault) but worked perfectly in the end. I am now on 4.1.1 and no longer have to wait for anyone other than Google for my updates.
I have one last question. I noticed there is a feature on the toolkit named RELOCK. The button says OEM Lock. I was tempted to do it but though I would wait fist. Are there any dangers of running an UNLOCkED Bootloader? If I were to back to OEM are there any other drawbacks other than having to UNLOCK the Bootloader again should I want any other ROMS installed?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones