flash player for ascendSupport

1. masggalue

masggalue New Member

what is the best flash player for ascend that i can download

Advertisement
    :
  2. la sal

la sal Well-Known Member

I've read many times here that Flash won't work on the Ascend.
    The Prodigy likes this.
  3. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Flash is ONLY workable on Android 2.2 Froyo. Now there are other Browsers that can run some flash videos, etc. BUT, as far as an actual Flash website, NOTHING will work until 2.2 is release, that can run Flash 10.1 no problem.

Plus there was a thread somewhere around here about installing Flash 10.1 on the Ascend, don't waste your time. I did try just to see what would happen - NOTHING except take up memory.

So cross your fingers like everyone else for 2.2....Then you'll be good.

I think the older xscope brower runs some flash videos on webpages, but again, if you go to a "Flash" page, like say www.2advanced.com
    on the phone you just get an emblem and company info, on the pc, all kinds of flash stuff.

Good luck...Jeff
  4. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

psssts its the phone that wont do flash ;) no gpu ;)
    spyder likes this.
  5. Blasty711

Blasty711 Active Member

Skyfire browser plays flash on the Ascend. It is a slow browser but I only use it for flash videos. Also you can use the Youtube Remote app for youtube videos.
  6. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I thought that it was just 2.2 holding us back? but I guess the phone is too? Although, how do the browsers that play actual flash video pull it off? I know my GF's Motorola Droid wouldn't do any Flash, put the 2.2 on, now it plays flash easy.

So thanks for the info....even tossed ya a thanks on it, but gotta say, still a little confused......

Take care...Jeff
  7. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Skyfire converts the video on their servers, then sends it back to your phone. Flash won't play on ascend because of ARM6 cpu, adobe requires minimum ARM7.
    spyder likes this.
  8. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks G....That makes perfect sense that it would be converted up on the server level and then shot back to ya. Sorry to be a total NOOB......What is ARM6/ARM7, etc.

IF (BIG IF) I'm guessing right, that would just be the procesor set. Now that would be independent of a GPU right? So, I guess bottom-line is it the lack of the phone having a GPU (Graphics unit) OR a less than capable Processor?

Any idea?
    Or in the simplest form, the OS?? (I wish, but so so doubt...LOL)
  9. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not all that technical, just repeating what I have read, but if I'm understanding it right, adobe sets the minimum specs the flash player will run on, and our processor is a notch below that. As for the gpu, I'm not sure if that comes into play with adobe flash or not, that may mainly effect games or graphics intensive applications. For sure 2.2 was the first version of android to support flash, but it depends on hardware as well. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I'm sure someone more technical will be by to clean this up later. Lol
  10. Lennatron

Lennatron Well-Known Member

Yeah Gmash is right, Skyfire servers convert it to HTML5. Sometimes it doesn't work though.
  11. PlayfulGod

HTML5 is the code to create the pages, not the code the video uses ;)

But with HTML5, video files have to be oog, mp4, and webm. Not all browser support html5 yet either and none fully support it. ;)
    Lennatron likes this.
  12. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Information about ARMv6/ARM v7 confirmed by EarlyMon, so you can take it to the bank. Also, we actually DO have a gpu. (It's all on one chip). Thanks to EarlyMon for the info.
  13. Krakah

Krakah New Member

i have a ascend with a 2.2 platform and i was wondering if there is an app or something to stream video or download video so i can watch it on my phone?
  14. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

try skyfire...and also you can use your pc to download videos, and put them on sdcard also...
  15. PlayfulGod

Ok the ascend doesnt have a 'dedicated gpu' as required by Flash. ;)
  16. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Yeah,i guess there was some confusion about which system on chip was actually in the Ascend. The web site EarlyMon had linked in his post listed the wrong one, apparently. I saw Septembers post where someone took the Ascend apart, and sadly, the SoC in our phones has no GPU. :(
  17. PlayfulGod

oh i seen that moronic post or wtf ever it was. thats dude is a complete idiot!!!!

lol
  18. Dsanders77

Dsanders77 Well-Known Member

MP4 not HTML5. Ascend can run video in MP4 format. Handbrake is a great converter for that. Works on everything EXCEPT Amazon Unbox video. Amazon has DRM, even on stuff that I BOUGHT. My one beef with them right now.
  19. Scur

Scur Well-Known Member

20. nuttmeg

21. PlayfulGod

Flash WILL NOT run on the Ascend. Flash requires a dedicated gpu which the Ascend DOES NOT HAVE and a certain speed cpu which the Ascend falls short of. You can install it all day long n think it works, but you are not seeing flash!!!
  22. reggjoo

reggjoo Well-Known Member

Flash player will install, but won't run, the arm 6 has it's own video function, but flash is too complex to run on it, it can't handle cpu, and gpu functions of flash at the same time. Plus it's not fast enough. I'm not sure if flash recognizes the ascend isn't strong enough, but even with 10 installed, flash sites say no to it.
  23. nuttmeg

but another thing i want to know, why is flash so important, why not use computer at the house and save your battery on the phone to watch flash videos?
    Sinner67 likes this.
  24. reggjoo

reggjoo Well-Known Member

Cause we are jealous of phones that can
  25. Scur

Scur Well-Known Member

I was trying to view a video in my browser, and got the "you must have flash payer installed" message instead. I installed flash player, tried again, and could watch the video. I rarely watch videos, in fact, that was the last time I did I think, so I couldn't tell you how it normally behaves. I'll try to watch some more sometime, but the only thing different I did to watch the video was to install Adobe flash player 10.1, so I've been assuming it works on my Ascend.