Flash Player

Last Updated:

1. parvusp

parvusp Member This Topic's Starter

I am definitely getting this phone and i was just curious if flash player 10.1 will be ready by the time it comes out and if so whether the phone will support it out of the box. I specifically want to use it with my mycast orb server to stream using flash player. I'm wondering if the quality would be better with flash or rtsp streaming.

Advertisement
  2. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

It will ship with the phone.

3. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is "real" Flash that is coming with the phone. There is a difference between keeping up with an animated banner or something and a streaming high res video or a game. I'm not saying it's definitely not coming but the videos so far just say "Flash" and show a few flash ads working. There's a big leap from that to full, high framerate Flash support. Hopefully we get the good one but Orb works great even without Flash. Used to run it on my old WM phones.

4. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

I'm bummed though that the sites I would like to have flash for are not supporting mobile devices (ie HULU). I was excited about being able to catch up on shows on my phone. By the way, is there current support for Slingbox and Android?

5. TheNorthernForest

TheNorthernForest Well-Known Member

When Adobe Flash made a YouTube video talking about how Flash would work on Nexus One, they were playing video games from MiniClip. EVO and Nexus One both run 2.1 (as of now), so those High Quality videos and Games you're talking about should work on it, if it works, of course.

6. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

I'm pretty sure Android 2.1 has a toned down version of flash that it can do, like most websites, but I don't know if it can do anything intensive like big games. As far as Hulu or the like, I'm not sure. I'm sure in one of the 73 forums on here you could ask for specifics :D

Edit: Maybe this will offer some further details
    http://phandroid.com/2010/04/01/speed-test-flash-vs-html5-on-the-nexus-one/

cary328is likes this.
  7. SprintFun

Since the Evo is rumored to be shipping with FroYo and the more I read I guess flash isn't supported in 2.1 (currently), I wonder if flash support will be a major part of FroYo? Would make sense...

8. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

This is a question I already asked and I got yes and don't know answers. I am in the same boat and want to know if full version of flash 10.1 will be available on EVO. I don't care about flashing ads. I care about full working videos that I can click and watch with flash

9. SprintFun

Perhaps this will shed some more light on things:

HTC EVO 4G Preview

Hope this helps.

10. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i would think they currently block it cause it's not supported, maybe they are just blocking the mobile port of flash and when full 10.1 comes we will be able to use hulu... i also think they are working on an app, i know they are working on one for the iPhone, or atleast were in there labs section

11. parvusp

parvusp Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks SprintFun this definitely answers my question about the flash support. It only makes waiting for it so much more painful. Only a couple more months left with my instinct.

12. TheNorthernForest

TheNorthernForest Well-Known Member

I'm hoping at least Flash on YouTube will work on EVO's browser. Sometimes searches on the YouTube app come up with different results than the full HTML version.

13. neodorian

The Hulu thing is not really their fault. Content owners (networks, studios, etc) don't mind people watching shows on Hulu as long as it's in certain places. I think their concern is that Hulu on the TV will hurt DVD sales and TV ratings while mobile streaming would hurt stuff like iTunes purchases. Granted the TV one is easy to get around since I just have a nice PC hooked up to my HDTV but I don't know how to get around that on a phone. Maybe someone will come out with a user agent spoof that will make your mobile browser report itself as Firefox or IE or something.

14. spade

spade Member

there already is one, thought it involves rooting.

15. neodorian

Sounds good to me. I always cooked my own ROMs for my WM phones, have rooted and overclocked my Pre, and I imagine that I will be rooting and flashing my Evo as well. I like the idea of my smart phones as customizable pocket computers, not static appliances.

16. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

sounds exactly like Flash lite 10.1 running on the Desire ROM on my Nexus... a lot of Flash stuff works, and quite well I might add... stuff like Hulu, and a few other random ones... no go... but far better than nothing at all...

17. ImGreen

ImGreen Well-Known Member

Are there any other apps besides YouTube app that lets you stream TV shows to Android?

Flash would be nice, but I would mind having a Hulu app instead. HTML5 might also get adopted much more quickly than expected thanks to Apple ( I like personally like Adobe better than I like Apple), but if Flash is so difficult to implement in a mobile device then maybe there is something wrong with Flash technology. Android seems to be a good position sense Google seems to be happy to support both Flash and HTML5. I think I'm going to like Android when I finally get the EVO 4G!

18. GoldenStatePanda

GoldenStatePanda Well-Known Member