• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flash ROM Wipe All Neccessary Stuff

Everyone usually Factory Resets though. I want to go from stock 5.0.1 to Cataclysm. Dalvik and Cache only? Wouldn't I also want System?

It really just depends... If you notice any odd behavior or apps and etc Force closing on you after flashing Cataclysm, then you'll want to perform a Factory Data Reset (which I'd recommend anyway) and that should resolve any issues that you may incur. Just make sure you have everything backed up and a current nandroid before moving on.

From the Cataclysm thread -

How should i install Cataclysm?
- Do a Wipe/Factory reset and then flash. Strongly suggested to update to latest recovery.
- Should be safe to dirty flash new releases over the old ones unless android version bump.

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
It really just depends... If you notice any odd behavior or apps and etc Force closing on you after flashing Cataclysm, then you'll want to perform a Factory Data Reset (which I'd recommend anyway) and that should resolve any issues that you may incur. Just make sure you have everything backed up and a current nandroid before moving on.

From the Cataclysm thread -

How should i install Cataclysm?
- Do a Wipe/Factory reset and then flash. Strongly suggested to update to latest recovery.
- Should be safe to dirty flash new releases over the old ones unless android version bump.
Alright I'm going to make a nandroid, I'm familiar, I just hate wiping because my WiFi is complete crap. I'm just going to wipe System and Cache. Should that be enough?

Upvote 0
Do you know what the exact error through recovery was?
I'd have to see the output from the recovery to try and help with better answer.
I think it's because you wiped the system partition. So follow these instructions and you should be OK.

Quote from cataclysm -
- Don't wipe system. Don't mount system. If you did, reboot again to recovery before flashing.

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend updating your N5's bootloader, radio/modem and recovery to the newst versions for 5.0+ compatibility. (TWRP 2.8.1 is a good one)
You can either fastboot flash the newest bootloader, radio/modem or TWRP through your PC or you can also find all the files in a flashable zip that you can flash through your current recovery.
If you haven't, I would make sure that you're updated in these areas first.

If you need any help flashing the bootloader, radio or TWRP just ask and hope this helps

Reactions: Hook and Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones