flash rom with stock recovery?

1. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

having recently figured out i could access the stock recovery,i wondered if i could use it to flash roms by renaming them "update.zip". i figured this could be useful for folks who have inadvertantly fudged things up to where they had no custom recovery,and were unable to boot normally to flash clockwork or SPR thru rom manager.

so i restored the unmodified backup of my stock rom tried it a few times :) even the roms that pass jar verification type test still fail to pass the signiture verification test and abort the install.

have done some searching and can only find references to it when unrooting.

does anyone know,will only stock roms pass the stock recovery's signiture verification test?

if there is some sort of rooted,stock rom a person could flash with the stock recovery it could potentially save some people some headaches.

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

You cannot flash a ROM with the stock recovery; however, you CAN flash a stock ROM with a custom recovery like ClockworkMod. It would also allow you to make those all-important nandroid backups - a snapshot image of your phone's state, saved to the SD card - so if something messes up you can always revert to that last known good state.
  3. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

thanks for the reply. you can always flash a stock rom with a stock recovery: Unroot your Droid WITHOUT RSD Lite thats what gave me the idea to try and use it for custom roms. only disadvantage will be having to reroot in order to flash a custom recovery and get to backups(assuming they were made).

it is possible to install a custom recovery manually,but the process is a little confusing to someone who has just rooted without doing much(or any ;)) research and fudged it up.

there are definately other ways to skin the cat and get your phone back if one finds oneself without a custom recovery OR a useable rom,but if it would work,flashing a rom that allready had SU access with the stock recovery would be super quick and easy for the "i dint really kknow enuff about rooting my phone" beginners,lol.
  4. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

ROM Manager will let you flash either a stock rooted ROM or a stock unrooted ROM. This would prevent having to re-root. I don't know if it re-installs the stock recovery, but I am guessing it does.
  5. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

yes,you can flash roms with rom manager without having to reroot(tho i personally dont recomend doing it that way),but you are somewhat missing the point of the thread.

imagine this scenario: yuo just rooted,so are on your stock rom. you try and download and flash a rom with rom mamager,but something happens(an incomplete download,maybe) and when your phone reboots it doesnt ever load past the M screen. so you pull the batttery and try again... still no go. so you open the keyboard and hold x while powering on,hoping to reflash a rom in clockwork recovery and get your phone back. but instead of seeing clockwork,all you see is a triangle with ! in the middle. :eek:

so what do you do? (please note im not refering to "you" personally. by you i mean a person in general)

you cant get a rom to load so you can use rom manager. you dont have a custom recovery to reflash the rom,restore a backup,or flash a different rom. are you hosed? is your phone bricked? :eek:

thats what the point of the thread is. via the link above,you can access the stock recovery and flash stock 2.2 to get your phone back,so you arent bricked. however,youll then have to reroot,if you want to continue being rooted. got me to thinking... what if i renamed,say,UD or liquid gingerbread "update.zip"... would the stock recovery flash it and get me back to a point where i had a still rooted,working phone?

apparently the answer is "no" as ive tried to rename 4 different roms "update.zip" and they always fail the signiture verification and abort the install when i try and flash them via the stock recovery.its too bad it wont work... as i mentioned,it could save some folks some headaches. :(

HTC phones will let you install a custom recovery in hboot with a PBxxIMG file with a security off bootloader. motorola phones apparently work differently.
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

And that is why we had to come up with a custom recovery system before we could even make and then flash custom roms. The stock recovery will ALWAYS make sure you are flashing a legit "official" "rom" to the phone and will never, ever allow otherwise.

On another note, the 'stock' images in rom manager I wouldn't trust as too many people have used them only to find that there's still a trace of root left on the phone. Specifically, Superuser and/or rom manager is still on the phone, but totally useless, since the phone is no longer rooted. And since the phone is no longer rooted, you cannot make /system read/write to delete them. Major waste of time.
    scotty85 likes this.
  7. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

this does not surprise me to hear... but i couldnt find a difinitive answer by searching,so it was worth a try :)
  8. deathtrap8675

deathtrap8675 Well-Known Member

You can flash thru stock recovery but the custom rom has to be signed.
    properly. Mrbobo over on the warp thread has a rom flashable thru stock recovery.
  9. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

deathtrap8675, you are partially right. A 'rom' has to be signed properly to be able to be flashed with a stock recovery.

However, the part where you are somewhat wrong is referring to a rom in the warp forum in the Motorola Droid forum. Granted, the rom you refer to in the warp forum will work on stock recovery, it is only for the warp and cannot be used on the Droid.

ROM's that are developed for one phone model cannot be used on another since part of the 'make' process requires the proprietary driver and lib files to be pulled from the device for which the ROM is to be built. Heck, sometimes, you must know the exact phone model number as even though the model 'name' is the same, the hardware (and proprietary files) are very different and not cross-compatible. The Motorola Milestone is one example. There is the A853 and the A854. Very different radios and such.

I am not trying to chastise you (it's funny that none of the posters in this thread were part of the staff when it was first active), but only to make it clear for any other readers who come across this thread.

Thanks.
    scotty85 likes this.