• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flash to 2.1 or wait for Sprint to update it?

u guys are killing me lol....couple weeks back I made up my mind to wait it out for sprint's 2.1 but the more I read about other rom's the more I just want to do it right now. but 1~ week away? :( i just feel that if i was going to root and flash a new rom i should have done it weeks ago so im still tryin to hold out. hopefully I make it to next week. if next week comes and goes with no update though....theres no way i'll be able to refrain any longer

Gonna be honest w/ ya and say that you've got nothing to lose. Go for it, enjoy your Hero customization before we possibly no longer have that luxury.

One a side note, Sprint did say something about an early May release but we all know that they are prone to date changes for content release.

Upvote 0
Yea I have to add how easy it is to manually root and flash once you follow the directions and do some research.

I'm noob and I did it by following [GUIDE] How To Root The Sprint CDMA Hero (Windows) - xda-developers

Which is copy/pasted into the Sticky FAQ thread, this version is formatted nicer for my eyes.

Once you go through that you can flash a ROM, which is pretty easy if you understand how to boot in RA (maybe it was mentioned but I missed it) Hold down the bottom volume key and power on and it will load in RA and you can load the zip from SD.

Don't be intimidated by all the command prompts, I just copy pasted everything slowly and it worked well.

Upvote 0
couple weeks back I made up my mind to wait it out for sprint's 2.1 but the more I read about other rom's the more I just want to do it right now. but 1~ week away? :(

Thats what i was thinking too but you have to remember the devs will have new ROMs out, so when 2.1 is official they will be working on 2.5 which will probably never be released officially on our phone lol.

Once you root it's a new world.

Upvote 0
Well this morning I gave in and decided to root and flash a new rom. I installed fresh kitchen in order to root but ran into issues. Upon the automatic reboot to recovery my phone would go to a screen with an exclamation point and a phone until I pulled the battery. I noticed my usb noise on my computer was rather active and didn't stay connected at all times. It might be due to windows 7 64 bit issues. Kitchen would never say Rooted at the bottom. I set htc sync and kitchen to download on my xp laptop to try again when I get home from class so hopefully it works.

Upvote 0
Well this morning I gave in and decided to root and flash a new rom. I installed fresh kitchen in order to root but ran into issues. Upon the automatic reboot to recovery my phone would go to a screen with an exclamation point and a phone until I pulled the battery. I noticed my usb noise on my computer was rather active and didn't stay connected at all times. It might be due to windows 7 64 bit issues. Kitchen would never say Rooted at the bottom. I set htc sync and kitchen to download on my xp laptop to try again when I get home from class so hopefully it works.

if it was a driver problem, sometimes downloading pdanet can help..

Upvote 0

Fresh Kitchen will only say it's rooted if it detects a custom ROM. Another issue is did you mount your SD card? Can't be mounted. You don't need to be synced in order to run the auto-rooter from Fresh Kitchen.

Upvote 0

Same issues for me (USB connectivity) so I just went manual.
WATCH the short video, it helped, A LOT.

BACK UP!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I may be reading your post wrong, but if I understand you correctly, you may have the kitchen and HTC Sync running simultaneously. Fresh Kitchen (v1.x.x) conflicts with HTC Sync. Be sure to shut down HTC Sync before starting the kitchen. The latest kitchen update now checks for HTC Sync and asks you to shut it down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones