• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to disable that damn system write protection

Masterchief87

Android Expert
May 27, 2014
South Florida
System write protection can now be disabled indefinitely with a simple shell command. You can enter it with a PC and adb shell or a terminal emulator app on your phone. Ready for it? Here it is.
reboot disemmcwp
That's it. Once your phone reboots you will have system rw(the ability to mount the system partition as read/write) that wont go away after a reboot or even a factory reset! Its that easy. No more need for switcher zips, scripts, or apps to get system rw.

All credit goes to @hroark13 for finding this. Here is a link to his thread with more information including how to turn the system write protection back on if you should ever want to.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7317521

Last edited:
To everyone who has been asking questions, I just want to say thank you. I would much rather that you ask questions (even if they seem like dumb questions to you) than go half cocked and mess up your phone.

Is there any way you could post a step by step on how to restore stock recovery, for the MetroPCS phone. I have recovery.img, boot, and system. I just need to see how to remove the twrp, su, and whatever else needs to be deleted. You told me how, but I don't know how to push the stock into the places it belongs. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Thnx Masterchief!!! And I dont know if theres a thanks button or anything but I hope hroark knows I say thank u too sir!!! These are working, I managed to debloat my stock but I couldnt disable the capacitive keys yet, I used a specified app and had all the permissions but after reboot they were still working, also tried manually but no go, I guess it could be it just doesnt work with those methods on this particular phone, anyways thanks you guys!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones