• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashed and Rooted TF101

exninja

Android Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2011
AZ
Hey everyone!

I just went through the process of flashing a new ROM to my TF101 and thought some people might enjoy what I learned. I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to Android, I figure I know enough to get myself into trouble but patient enough to also get out of it.

Firstly, a lot of the links in the http://androidforums.com/transformer-all-things-root/448637-transformer-rooting-roms.html sticky are broken. Fortunately a very recent post linked this: Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101 I was hoping to do the job without downloading anything to my computer (I like to keep things neat) but I couldn't find a way around it. I had to download and install the APX drivers ([ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0… | Eee Pad Transformer | XDA Forum). I then downloaded the EasyFlasher from here: EasyFlasher - Install CWM/Root/unbrick in on… | Eee Pad Transformer | XDA Forum. I was about to say that this tool doesn't have the latest TWRP version, but as I am writing this I am realizing that I misunderstood the other links in Freduruco's guide and the last link there will probably be much better for me. In fact, I'll probably redo it tonight or tomorrow. The reason I say that is because I noticed that there is wasn't an internal /sdcard folder on the tablet, so I had left the external sdcard in while downloading more apps and it was forming the cache folders on the external sdcard instead of the tablet like it used to. I preferred the internal /sdcard.

Anyways, after flashing the old version of TWRP onto the tablet via EasyFlasher i put the zip file of [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #032b ] [St… | Eee Pad Transformer | XDA Forum onto an sdcard and used TWRP to flash it on. I'm not sure if it has to go serially or can be done in parallel, but don't forget to put the GAPPS package from the KatKiss thread on or else nothing will work. Once I did that it works like a dream.

The only thing I've noticed is that all of the icons and such seem fuzzier than before. I downloaded the Apex Launcher hoping that it was just the launcher that it came with but no luck. I can certainly live with it considering how much better the tablet is working, but if there's a way to make it crisper i'd like to know.

You'll also lose some of the ASUS app (aka bloatware) that you may have been using. For example, I was using the Splashtop via the MyCloud app because I could remote into my home desktop from anywhere, however, the chrome desktop extension app has taken it's place and works better anyways.

Happy rooting!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones