Flashed CM6, should I flash a new radio?

Last Updated:

1. JJM619

JJM619 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I flashed CM6 a few days ago and love it, I noticed though that the signal has been a little weaker. I rarely see my signal at full strength. How/do I need to flash a new radio?

Advertisement
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

What version radio are you on now, you maybe up to date already

3. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

No, no need to flash a new radio unless dropped calls or no data usage is a problem. AOSP roms are notorious for showing less signal than what you really have. What is your signal? Menu-settings-about phone-status-signal strength. Lower numbers are better.

If you want the bars to look better than what they are look here [FIX] Cyanogen Signal Fix With Instructions - xda-developers Remember, this will not fix anything, this will only show something more bars;)

JJM619 likes this.
  4. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

IE at home mine is showing -93 dBm 0asu

5. andygu3

I'm showing -78 dBm 0 asu with only 2 bars

6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Do the Sprint HTC Hero updates include radio baseband updates as well? I am asking because I am still on Android 2.1 build .5 and I am wondering if a radio baseband update would be a good thing.

What is the latest Sprint HTC Hero radio baseband anyway? Thanks.

7. andygu3

If you read that NFX thread on xda from nfinite, it sounds like he may update the baseband version

8. LBPHeretic

I did read the thread and that is what sparked my question. I have still on stock Android 2.1 with Sense UI at the moment.

So I was curious if me not doing the last three maintenance updates meant that I was also missing out on radio baseband updates as well? Also, I was interested in what the latest version was.

9. andygu3

Keep up with that thread, I'm sure he will give an answer at some point in time;)

10. LBPHeretic

Well, I am running a radio baseband of 2.42.01.04.27. That looks like it is the latest and greatest from Sprint and HTC, but I could be wrong.

I will watch that thread, but I was not going to mess with radio basebands anyway unless there was some dramatic improvement from what I have now. I just like to know all the information I can.

11. andygu3

That's what I have also

12. norm12

norm12 Active Member

from personal experience, flash a new radio if you have a poor signal and for no other reason. Recently I flashed the desire/verizon based cdma radio from flipz site and I've not been dropping calls at all. Then again, I had almost no sprint service at work or on most of the ride to/from home. If you go to Download: Radio Baseband 2.32.40.11.09 for Sprint CDMA Hero there are great instructions and a variety of radios if you are interested---they are all safe for our phones

13. LBPHeretic

Yeah, I have heard the same thing about not messing with the radio basebands unless you have issues with signal strength or dropped called, which I do not have. I checked out your link and I appreciate it.

I think the current radio baseband I have now is fine and dandy. I have never had signal issues or dropped calls or mobile data issues.

14. norm12

norm12 Active Member

anytime. its an easy enough thing to change---just like flashing a rom, but it stays no matter what rom you subsequently flash. I'm also experiencing better battery life with the new radio as my phone isn't constantly searching for a signal or switching between roaming and sprint.

15. LBPHeretic

Yeah, I am familiar with how radios are flashed. I might try a new one eventually, however, my current radio leaves me with a time without signal at 0%, so I cannot argue with that too much. ;)

It is weird, I asked my friend who also has a Sprint HTC Hero, that is rooted and running CyanogenMod 6, what radio baseband he had and he has the one before the one I have. He has never flashed a new radio, so I thought it was weird that he has an older one than I do considering I am stock Android 2.1 build .5. :confused:

16. norm12

norm12 Active Member

they are sometimes applied at the same time as other updates, but it seems inconsistent. before I was rooted, my wife and I were both on 2.1 (.5)---we updated to 2.1 within minutes of each other and I had an older radio than she did. neither of us updated it separately it just worked out that way. odd indeed. I wonder if it is a regional thing or if its tied to PRL

17. LBPHeretic

I always thought the latest radio was included in the Android 2.1 RUU executable that was flashed when we updated from Android 1.5. I cannot believe it would be something that is done OTA separately because it would require a reboot and that would require an explanation from the software to the user. :D

Anyway, I will stick with what I have for now. If something better comes along down the road, I know where to look now. ;)

18. JJM619

whoops forgot i posted this question...right now at home (i have an airave) it says -60dBm 0asu and there's zero bars, before i flashed to cm6 it would show full bars in my home, HOWEVER i noticed it goes to full bars when i need to make a call or use the phone, then when i'm done it'll go back to no bars, but i'll still be able to receive calls/texts...

it's just that places(work, school, etc.) that i know i used to get full bars my phone will just display 1 or 2...

i guess i can deal with it since performance wise i really haven't had an issue...i might try that fix you posted on the link

19. JJM619

oh and my baseband version is also 2.42.01.04.27

20. LBPHeretic

Yeah, it still has the same signal as before you flashed CyanogenMod 6. It is just that it is not showing the signal correctly. That level of dBm is a good signal strength. So, you have nothing to worry about.

There is a signal strength indicator fix that you can flash: [FIX] Cyanogen Signal Fix With Instructions - xda-developers .

JJM619 likes this.
  21. andygu3

Nice link LBP:p:p:p:p You can never see it too much, lol:)

22. LBPHeretic

Yeah, I totally stole it from your post above. But the person missed it I guess. ;)

Oh well. Haha. :D

23. JJM619

where can i get this signal fix mod? :rolleyes:

just kidding, thanks for the info, i'll prob just leave it be since it's not a performance issue

24. jojoglo01930

jojoglo01930 New Member

I have a hawuei ascend running cyanogenmod 6 but have no radio signal could anyone possibly help me get my radio back so i can make a call or text or even go online would anyone know how to get the radio back.