Flashed my Desire. It worked!!

Last Updated:

1. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Have just flashed my Desire to generic 1.15 ROM on Orange.

Used these great instructions:

Debranding / Unlocking an HTC Desire - The giffgaff community

The goldcard tool thing linked makes it all so easy, none of that HEX key stuff.

Only thing is the singla strength is significant worse after update. Not sure why.
    Will unlock and update to newer version of firmware tomorrow.

Advertisement
  2. knoxy5000

knoxy5000 Member

Sounds like far to much hard work to me for what it actually achieves

3. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

Rooting and ROM flashing does sound long-winded and like a lot of steps, but once you go through the instructions in depth it's very straightforward and actually pretty quick and painless :)

4. Kryten2k35

Kryten2k35 Well-Known Member

You do not need to root to flash a generic ROM in order to debrand.

Glad you got it going! After you unlock, you can update and the reception issues go away.

eBay My World - cellunlockland

He did it for

5. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

Just noticed that the post I made last night either wasn't posted, or got kindly deleted for no reason! It said something like:

"I've noticed that too [but seems to be better today]. I'm not going to 1.21 unless my data issues aren't fixed, but so far so good after 12+ hours.

6. Longfellow78

Observations so far:
    1.15 worked Ok, signal strength was MUCH lower, 3g and texting problems still occuring. So, it wasn't Orange's bad firmware.

1.21, getting H far more often at high speeds, also 3g "seems" to be better, but it also worked on new resets of 1.15 for a little while but so far it seems to be working, and signal strength is back to original levels.

If it goes wrong again I will swap to another SIM, which will tell me if it was Orange's network or not. If it doesn't work that suggests either a bug in 1.21 or major hardware problems and a new handset/manufacturer needed.

On a side not, the speech to text google search option has disappeared. Anyone know how to get this back?

7. Longfellow78

Er... no it hasn't worked after all. 3g problems back as bad as ever running 1.21.405.2. I'm thinking that it's an Orange problem :( going to check with another sim.
    ARSE!

8. Kryten2k35

Kryten2k35 Well-Known Member

I seriously can't say I've noticed these problems bud.

I get 3G most of the time around here. I've nearly burnt up my data allowance, which started on the 1st. So I'm not having a problem getting my data package.

Only issue I had with calls and such was a few times the phone wouldn't call. But, I'd try again a few yards down the road and get straight through. Seems like an Orange problem.

I don't have any spare sims to try. I have one inactive O2 sim. Which I might try anyway because I've unlocked my phone but not actually put anything other than an Orange Sim in there!