• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashed older ROM - OS wont load now...

droidnube

Lurker
Oct 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I'm in a bit of a pickle and I am not sure how to get out of this one.
I recently tried CyanogenMod10 (as per recommendation) and it was beautiful. Unfortunately it wouldn't load a lot of my apps so I tried to flash back to CM9. Here's where it gets silly.
The version I found online for CM9 is not the version I originally flashed but it was named correctly so one would assume it was the same (more or less).

Turns out, this version is not only different, it wouldn't even get past the loading animation after the phone boots.

This means I cant even connect via usb to my computer to whack a different CM version on my SD card. This also means I cannot hold my power button down to get the recovery mode options, or factory reset or anything...

Does anyone know how I can get out of this hole I have dug myself???

Please help!
Many Thanks!!!

Sounds like your in a bootloop.
Apologies if i'm starting from basics here but seeing as your flashing custom roms's then i'm assuming you have flashed CWM recovery?
Can you confirm what happens when you boot the phone by pressing power+home together (let go of both buttons when the Samsung screen appears and look for the green triangle in the top left screen).
This should take you to the CWM recovery screen. If you can get to this point then sorting your problems out will be failry straightforward.

It's also worth noting that CM9 + CM10 based roms are still in dev stage and as such are not totally stable on the Ace as yet. If you are new to flashing rom's then i would personally go for stock or CM7 based roms that are proven and more stable. There are many to choose from.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I'm in a bit of a pickle and I am not sure how to get out of this one.
I recently tried CyanogenMod10 (as per recommendation) and it was beautiful. Unfortunately it wouldn't load a lot of my apps so I tried to flash back to CM9. Here's where it gets silly.
The version I found online for CM9 is not the version I originally flashed but it was named correctly so one would assume it was the same (more or less).

Turns out, this version is not only different, it wouldn't even get past the loading animation after the phone boots.

This means I cant even connect via usb to my computer to whack a different CM version on my SD card. This also means I cannot hold my power button down to get the recovery mode options, or factory reset or anything...

Does anyone know how I can get out of this hole I have dug myself???

Please help!
Many Thanks!!!

Take out the battery, wait a few seconds and put it back in, restart the phone in recovery mode and do a factory reset, clear cache partition and clear dalvik cache, that should get you booting.
Otherwise you can reflash this rom or flash a different rom from recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones