Flashing a new kernal

Last Updated:

1. DaretoDroid2

DaretoDroid2 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Last night I was trying to change from a Chevy kernal to one of P3's kernals. I downloaded the kernal from the website to my computer, plugged my phone in via usb and copied the zip folder from my computer to the root of my sd card. unplugged the phone and rebooted into recovery. When I went to install from sd card and choose zip the kernal was not there. Am I missing a step, I swore this is what I did last time. Thank you for any help

Advertisement
  2. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

It should be there. Check will a file browser like Astro. Are you using clockwork recovery or SPR?

3. DaretoDroid2

I am using clockwork, if I go into Astro I can see it in there, but when I reboot into recovery I dont see anything with the same file name

4. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

Just go into clockwork and install zip from SD card that way, rather than rebooting into recovery first.

5. DaretoDroid2

When I go into ROM manager, the only option I have is to install ROM from SD card, I am using the free version so I don't know if that makes a difference

6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Try renaming it to update.zip and using the install update.zip option in clockwork

7. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

That's the one. Choose install rom from SD (yes...i know it's not a rom...but a .zip file that it will find), choose the zip file, and viola :) enjoy

8. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Make SURE you have a working backup and can get into recovery using x+power before flashing anything! If you get stuck in a bootloop it will save you countless hours of work! :)