1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Flashing firmware with odinSupport

1. s3lover

s3lover Active Member

Hi . I want to flash firmware with odin. I'll follow the steps in this link : m.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxys4-gti9500-official-android422-xwubmg1-jellybean-ota-489471.html

Advertisement
    :
  2. s3lover

s3lover Active Member

Can i hardbrick my device ? I'm not an advanced user. It's the first time i try this.
  3. s3lover

s3lover Active Member

P.s: i don't want to root
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

You are unlikely to hard brick it but if you don't understand what you are doing, you should probably wait until you do.

Might I ask what you are hoping to achieve by flashing a new ROM? Is there any reason you cannot use the approved mechanism?
  5. s3lover

s3lover Active Member

My phone has an old software. It doesn't get the software update with pc kies or ota. So i decided to flashed manually
  6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Odin can hard brick your device if not used correctly. There's a lot of powerful tools in it, and actions such mounting a file in the wrong section, re-partitioning without a correct pit file or full factory tar, or flashing incorrect/corrupted firmware can lead to a hard brick. So make sure before you pull the trigger, you become knowledgeable about the process and verify everything is in order. If done correctly, Odin is a great tool.
  7. s3lover

s3lover Active Member

And how much does it cost to fix my device if hard bricken . Is it the same cost of installing a software in the service center or much more ?
  8. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

Much much more, you void your warranty by flashing through Odin and if you hard brick, the phone is goofed! No repairing of it!
  9. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Most hard bricks can be fixed if caused by flashing software and isn't the result of hardware failure. Though usually the only option is to use a JTAG to manually flash the bootloader back directly into the chipset. Mobiletechvideos is a pretty reliable company with a high rate of success, and they charge 50 dollars to fix a hard brick + shipping.
    s3lover likes this.
  10. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Odin is relatively safe to use. Research and read first so you understand it a little better and then just follow instructions. Read this thread