Flashing P3Droid kernal or new ROM (restore apps)

Last Updated:

1. akakrill

akakrill Member This Topic's Starter

May 16, 2010
    I recently rooted 2.1update1, I backed up twice with sprecovey...2.1 unrooted, 2.1 rooted. Then downloaded Ti backup and did a full backup of apps. I bought ROM manager and downloaded p3droid 1ghz kernal and flashed it. I know it probably worked but I ended up restoring to the back up that ROM manager made just before flashing p3droid kernal. How can I restore my settings and apps after I flash a ROM? Is there a way to add p3driod to over clock without overiding my apps?

Didn't want to get in too deep without finding out first. I read for weeks before I rooted, Im ready for the quick answer. Im considering CM or Nexbeast...not sure. I really don't mind the rooted droid OS, but id like to use wireless tether and over clock a little.

If I flash to a new rom can I redownload TI backup and have it restore all my apps from my SD? I also have sprecovery backups on my PC, but that wont help because they were created on stock 2.1 rooted.

Whats your best advice? Thanks -Krill

2. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ok on the P3Droid Kernel, you would not want to wipe when you flash a kernel, but make sure you have a nandroid backup because I have flashed kernel's that my phone did not like and would not boot up.

You won't need to restore your apps from just flashing a new kernel because you should never wipe your system for that.

Yes, when you flash a new ROM go to the market download TI backup and you can restore your apps when you change ROM's. It's a great tool.

You can't go wrong with either of the ROM's your thinking about, I have ran both CM and NexBeast and both are great.
  3. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Once you have rom manager, you may not need to wipe. Most roms will run fine with no wipe. Just make sure you have a fresh backup in rom manager just in case. I've been mixing and matching roms and themes for many weeks now with no wipes. Had a couple that didn't play well together, but not a big deal. Just revert to your backuo and everything is back. I try everything without a wipe first, to see how it goes. As far as the P3 kernel, reboot to recovery, select install update from SD card, find the P3 kernel, and install it again. Problem solved. Since you don't have to rename updates in Clockwork, you can store several kernels, and find them easily from recovery.