• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing Radio CDMA Desire

Ogbassist182

Nov 17, 2010
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to rooting; however, I successfully rooted my CDMA HTC Desire last night using the unrevoked method. I then flashed CyanogenModv6.1 to my Desire. On my pc, the program said "this was a triump" but on my phone, after it completed it said E:unsupported radio type. My question..... well I am interested in flashing a new radio on my phone because @ work and sometimes home it toggles between 3g/1x (not sure what 1x means). My device did do this from time to time before I even rooted my phone but it seems it's doing it more now that I flashed CyanogenMod. [RADIO] HTC Desire Stock Radios [LATEST 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27] [03/10/10] - xda-developers is a site with HTC Desire radios. My question(finally lol) is are these radios for CDMA or GSM? How do I tell which radio is for which device for future use so I can tell myself, AND if they are GSM, where can I find a radio that I can flash and test that is for a CDMA Desire?

Thanks for the help!

The only thought I have: what you describe sounds like switching between 3g and lower-capacity networks due to imperfect coverage, which is actually normal. Are you sure that it's really worse since rooting and flashing? After making changes like that you might be watching the phone more carefully (to see what has changed), and hence may just be more aware of this happening. I'm not saying that is the case, just raising the possibility. Although I've always found reception differences between (GSM) radios to be small, many people do claim that some radios work better with some ROMs. But it isn't clear from your original post that it's a big effect.

I guess the message "unsupported radio" might be worrying you, but that could be something different. As I recall, unrevoked also sets S-OFF for some CDMA radios (which allows even more control of the phone that most rooting), but not all. So it could be that this message simply meant that your radio was one it couldn't do that for, rather than that there was actually a problem with the radio as a radio.

Edit: If there is a clear loss of reception, a different ROM might make a difference. Rooting by itself should not affect radio performance, so a loss of performance could mean that your radio doesn't work as well with cyanogen, in which case changing the ROM is the other option if you can't find another radio (as long as it's a CDMA ROM). It really depends on what works for you overall.

Reactions: Ogbassist182
Upvote 0
Bah, was hoping I would get a new radio. I def think signal is worse since I flashed CM6.1. Signal @ school today was terribad. Maybe I should just switch ROMS? Any suggestions? I really like CM6.1 so something like that would be cool. And a link to a CDMA version of the ROM would be appreciated :D

.......if there are different versions of ROMS per GSM and CDMA hehe

Upvote 0
Ogbassist182,
As far as radios are concerned, I recommend you google your specific radio to see if there are any others that are compatible. You might also contact your carrier to see if there is an updated PRL they can push to your phone that will help with your reception. I have a CDMA Desire, and am running Ultimate Droid which is real stable. They have a Froyo build (UltimateDroid 2.5), and a Gingerbread beta build (UltimateDroid 3.0). Here is the link: http://www.theultimatedroid.com/forum/index.php?/forum/33-desire-cdma/

Reactions: Ogbassist182
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones