flashing rom bootloop

Last Updated:

1. ilikemyeris

ilikemyeris Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i did the gscript way on rooting the phone and that was a success but when i'm trying to flash the Plain Jane rom it would work but then when needing to be restarted it would just go into bootloop like have the ERIS screen then appear with the Plain Jane over the top of it and just repeat itself forever.

What am i doing wrong??

Advertisement
  2. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

Did you do a nand backup then wipe both the delvik cache and factory reset? Only after this can you correctly flash a custom ROM.

Luke

3. ilikemyeris

Will try that now... Thanks

4. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

you do not need to do a nand backup to flash a rom. it is a good idea to do it. but not needed.

OP -
    you do need to both wipes when flashing a new rom.

also, a mistake alot of new users make is to open the zip file after downloading. do not ever open the zip file of any rom. just download it and transfer directly to the sd card.

if its bootlooping, most likely a corrupted file that did not download correctly or bad sd card.

try downloading the file again, do not open it. transfer to sd card. both wipes and flash again.

When you say bootlooping, it is repeating the white screen with the 3 android skaters?

5. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

I ment to do the nand backup if it was the first time he flashed a custom ROM.

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

It may not be required, but it is almost always a damn good idea.

The only time you should not do it is if you know you will never return to the ROM & settings your phone is set up for (before you start the process of flashing a new ROM).

eu1

ppbb likes this.
  7. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, and feel free to flog me with wet noodles if this is a dumb question, but do nand backups have to keep their default name or can the name be modified to whatever you want to call it?

8. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

n0ct3m,

Yes, you can safely rename the Nandroid backup files...its actually a good idea so that you can more easily identify / keep track of what backup is what. Just be sure that you don't include spaces in the name (Amon_RA recovery doesn't like spaces :)).

Many users include a short version of their ROM name in the Nandroid backup name. For example: BDS-kaosfroyo-20100901-0845 or xtrROM_01Sep2010_0845

Cheers!

n0ct3m likes this.
  9. ilikemyeris

Okay so i've done all the steps nandroid backup, wiping and what not. then when i flash the rom and reboots it just sits there looping itself, but earlier i flashed engtools and it worked. Just wondering how come the Plain Jane rom doesn't work.. i really just want the overclock feature should i just flash the oc kernel

10. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

ilikemyeris,

Have you double-checked the size of the file and the MD5 sum of the PlainJane ROM that you downloaded on your phone? It kind of sounds like you have an incomplete ROM download...

Where did you get the ROM from (and is it PlainJane or PlainJaneT2)?

You should be able to use something like Astro File Manager to check the file size and its MD5 sum (launch Astro, navigate to the file (should be in right in the /sdcard directory, long-press the filename, select Details; wait a few seconds for the MD5 sum information to be display). Post your filename, file size, and MD5 sum here and we can double-check this for you...

11. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

did you open the zip file at all? what browser are you using to download the file?

it sounds like a corrupted file. try a different rom. do not use safari browser.

12. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You can use Safari - I use it quite often - just go into Preferences, General, and turn off the option to open "safe" (their quotemarks) files after download, which should be turned off by default anyway - you should never assume that a file is safe, just because of its file extension. Even if Safari opens a file, it still leaves the .zip file as well.

13. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

This problem needs to be resolved before it is worthwhile talking about any other sort of "whatnot".

I suspect that ilikemyeris is failing to notice (or report) that messages beginning with an "E:" are appearing on his/her screen when using Amon_RA.

E: = [SIZE=+2]ERROR[/SIZE]

eu1