Flashing ROM - I am still not getting it!

Last Updated:

1. kolipe

kolipe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am still not getting it! Lots of jargons, different names, numbers etc.

I hope someone generous will be able to help me.

I have rooted my Desire. Now want to get the FroYo update. I know this can be done by flashing a ROM or can I get the OTA update if I go to phone>software update? But 100s of questions...

1. How do I get the official ROM from HTC? (Is official ROM called stock ROM?)
    2. What are the differences between leedroid rom or Modaco rom and official ROM
    3. I also want the A2SD feature. Would this be available on leedroid or modaco rom? What is the partitioning to do with this?
    4. If something goes wrong, can I revert back to old version?
    5. I took backup of all my data and apps using Titanium and my backup. But what is nandroid?
    6. Most of my backup is stored on my SD card so if a full wipe is needed (what is full wipe and how do i do it?) will I lost all my information, settings and apps?
    And I dont understand most of the features listed under different ROMs. Do I need to be aware of them?
    Also with the new custom ROM will I get the OTA updates in the future without waiting for the official release by the career?

I probably will have more questions but will be really grateful if I could get the answers for the above.

I thought development with the android devices are user friendly but they sure arent if you are just a basic end user like poor me.

help appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Zhenya13

Zhenya13 Member

kolipe likes this.
  3. indieseoul

indieseoul Member

Nandroid if I'm not mistaken makes an image of your phone the way you have it set up. When restored through a nand restore your phone will go back to the way it looked and acted at the time you backed it up. Titanium backup however only backs up your apps and the settings you have for each one. I guess the easy way to look at it would be to think of the nandroid backup as a kind of restore point for your phone. So if you install a custom rom and things get crazy you can always restore your phone to a prior working state by using the recovery image that is stored on your sd card. Hope that is right/makes sense I myself have just entered the exciting world of Desire rooting. In my case I updated my phone to froyo prior to rooting it. Then I used UnRevoked to root it and flash a custom recovery image so that I could use my phone to hack my PS3. I'm not really interested in new roms myself but I understand that it is possible to use a rom manager from the market to try out new roms. You could also just put the rom on your sd card and use clockwork recovery to flash a new rom on your phone. This stuff isn't that difficult you can find the answer to all of your questions by doing some serious reading here on this forum. If you want an easy way to do it just get the froyo update from your carrier's website if it is available. Install the update according to their instructions and if you want to root it again just use UnRevoked. Once you are on froyo there are two ways to move your apps 2 SD. I used the Noob's guide to apps to the sd found on this forum. Hope I haven't made things more confusing. LOL Good luck and happy rooting.

kolipe likes this.
  4. indieseoul

indieseoul Member

Oh and and a full wipe should not touch your Sd card contents if I am right it will only flash the rom. I could be wrong like I said I'm also a noob to this kind of thing but I took the plunge anyway and now I have stock froyo which I'm happy enough with and the ability to try out new roms whenever I decide to play around with it. I believe from what I've read that your only real problems come about when you start debranding your phone but that is another thing you should do some heavy research on before you take on the task.