• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing ROM ?'s

Ramer84015

May 20, 2010
Utah
I rooted with Unrevoked 3.2 but I have not flashed a ROM yet. My biggest concerns are that I will loose everything. If I flash the new OTA ROM, do I loose all my settings, like my gmail accounts, checkbook balances, game scores etc?

I did (at least I think I did) and Nandoid backup using ROM Manager, confirmed the filename that I chose was on the SD card. Does that mean that if I boot into recovery mode, I should see the file? And can I boot into recovery to verify that it's there and then back out?

Sorry for the noobie questions, searching through the forums (which I did) can be very challenging.

Generally if you flash a rom you have to wipe data. if you have astro file manager you can look for nand backup without connecting to computer or going into recovery. Do you have clockwork or ra recovery? I am not sure if you have to wipe to change to the stock rooted rom

I have Clockwork, when I ran ROM Manager for the first time, it downloaded clockwork recovery for me. I verified that the file I created, that I called "Original ROM" was in the clockwork directory on my SD card and I just went ahead and booted into recovery mode, but I'm not sure what I would select to view/verify my backup is there.

Upvote 0
In clockwork recovery you will see a menu called nandroid, once you are there, there should be a option to restore and if it is a backup, it will come up on the next screen

Thank you, it's there. Last question (ha), if I experiment with different ROMs, when/if I restore my original backup, will my restore be "exactly" like it was when I backed up, meaning all my settings, accounts, apps/games etc. are exactly as they were at time of backup?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones