flashing roms without my laptop?

Last Updated:

1. goodle

goodle Member This Topic's Starter

Want to try the new smoked glass and other roms, but I left my trusty Toshiba at home when I left last week. I'm sure I can use astro to put the file on my sd, just not sure if this is a good idea. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. ericks17

ericks17 Well-Known Member

I have done it using Astro. Just make sure once you download the rom check the extension, you may have to correct that.

goodle likes this.
  3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

+1 I've done it too and it works. Usually the update.zip files are okay but I think the rom.tgz files get screwed up...but don't blame Astro...I can't keep the file extensions straight either :D

goodle likes this.
  4. goodle

Excellent news, thanks guys.

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have your backups handy on your SD card. I usually keep a library of emergency stuff on my PC but keep a few emergency items on my phone for those "on the road" experiments.

6. goodle

Good tip. I think I have 3 or 4 backups on my card still.

7. goodle

Finally had time to get this done. Root explorer was easier to use for me anyhow. Smoked glass is nice I like! Only thing I wish it had was the ability for the home screen to go landscape without opening the phone. Lwp are cool.....sure they'll lose the cool factor after a day.

8. UBRocked

I don't know if that is a setting inside that ROM or if it is permanently disabled. You can try out the Helix Launcher (version 2 is what I use with Bugless Beast). It will give you the 3D launcher (nexus one style) and it will work in landscape mode. Also, you can select the rotation using that app so the phone will work in landscape without the keyboard being open. If you don't like the Helix launcher, then you can just uninstall it...no harm done.

9. goodle

I've tried helix before it was cool, may have to reinstall. Actually I thought a 3d launcher was supposed to come with this rom.....may have to change some settings.

10. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I flash new ROMs on my phone all the time at work. As long as your download is a usable file format, you can just do it with Astro, as others have said. Update.zip files are of course the easiest, just download them on the phone, stick them on the SD card and go into recovery. Nandroids work as well, but you have to download a ZIP version so Astro (or another program) can unzip it on the phone. RAR files do not seem to unpack on the Droid unfortunately.

11. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Wait a little on the launchers. Just been reading about a Nexus mod of launcher 2 that is 5 columns. I am sure it will soon be ported to the Droid. This is really cool :eek:

Launcher 2 mod - 5 column appdrawer! - xda-developers

update: looks like some users already got it working on the Droid!

12. goodle

I was kind of right. SG has the option to install helix on the root of your card. Now I remember why I stopped using, you lose the smoked glass theme. Can I theme helix?

13. UBRocked

I don't know that you can theme Helix yet. All that really means is that you get the "stock" looking app launcher square at the bottom like the nexus one. The other thing that won't get themed is your Google Voice/Text search widget. Notification bar, icons, certain widgets, etc. will all theme normally cause you are actually theming the icons or widgets...no matter what launcher you use.

14. goodle

I see. Guess my biggest gripe was the app tray isn't see through. Its still a great app though.

15. UBRocked

Was it a 2D "drawer" style tab? If so that is Helix. Helix 2 has the 3D launcher like so (notice the apps at the bottom...those stay pinned by the app launcher so they are always quickly accessible no matter what screen you're on):

[​IMG]

16. goodle

Yeah that's the one. What I was reffering to is when you open the tray the background is solid black. I just like the smoked glass look better.