• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FLASHING STOCK O.S. ISSUES- & IS CUST. RECOVERY & ROOT REQUIRED?

Hello, can ANYONE help me to identify the correct Android O.S. (for re-flashing purposes)???? How can I do this when I have problems with the Recovery?

I received a tablet for Christmas. All works well except for:
1) MASSIVE battery drain- on charge (switched off) it only lasts (fully charged) about 1.5 hours powered on; on charge (switched on) it drains faster than it charges.
2) In Recovery mode VOL +/- doesn't function; (the highlight is stuck on "Reboot system now".
At the bottom of the Recovery page, there is an error warning- "E:fopen error /data/miraGSensorOffset.txt", (A Google search yields NOTHING on this).
3) Because of the Vol +/- button issue, Recovery can only be reached by Settings menu.
With all these issues, I would feel happier if I could just have it flashed, & start anew with it. The manufacturer has declined help as I cannot provide them with the "order i.d.no.", so I must reflash myself.

(In Settings> About Tablet, the "model" is listed as an "L701"- the manufacturer's model description).
It is an A13 model based on:
1) the Amazon listing that the purchaser has directed me to- amazon.co.uk/Screen-Allwinner-1-0GHz-Android-Tablet/dp/B0099NPR4S#productDetails
2) the manufacturer's website's product page- besttabletcompany.co.uk/shop/7-micro-tablet/

Description:
Allwinner A13, 7" Micro Tablet, Dual Core A23 processor, Android KITKAT.
Settings> About Tablet: Android ver. 4.4.2, Firmware ver. 4.4v2.0, Kernal ver. 3.4.39
Recovery:
Android system recovery <3e>
exdroid 4.4.2_r2-a23-v4.4-2.0

Q.1 Am I correct in deducing that I need to flash with Android KitKat 4.4.2? Just locate Android 4.4.2 download online- download & use this one?
Q.2 Do I need root & cust. rec. such as CWM/ TWRP?- some sites say this is not needed when re-installing the same stock rom that was originally installed?
Q.3 If "no" to Q2, do I use something like Liivesuite or Phoenix Suite to straight-flash with?- just download the suite> connect the tablet to my PC> boot Tab into Recovery> click "install/ go/ yes etc."?
Q.4 (MAJOR!!!) Won't the fact that I can only access Recov. via Settings menu, (so I can only do it once), become an issue/ stopping point for ANY kind of self-fixing?

ANY INPUT will be greatfully received.

Thanks, Gerry

Hi Gerry!

This is my main point of contention with cheap, off-brand, knock off tablets. They have no developers working on root methods, custom recoveries or ROMs. Even if a one-click root solution works, what recovery will you put on it? What ROM? And how can you possibly flash it back to stock with a factory image if something goes wrong? You really can't.

Yeah, they're cheap. They're Android. They're tablets. But that's the extent of them. My suggestion is to stick with well-known brands like the Galaxy Tab or Note 10.1. The more obscure a brand is, the less likely there is any development for it.

I'm not saying don't enjoy you new tablet, not at all. But you are pretty much relegated to happy USER, not a modder. Your odds of being able to successfully root, ROM and mod your tablet are remote. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the one I have for you. Hope this helps.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Hi The Chief.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to consider this and reply. Yes it has helped, alot!

To be honest, I sort of expected, and have accepted, that I would have little-to-no chance of resolving the issue. I agree that, with a cheap tablet, it would be nigh-on futile trying, BUT, I thought I would put it out there for the experts to see what they thought!

Thanks, I will enjoy my tablet as is; after all, it was a Christmas gift. It's a nice little basic tablet, operates well; it's just that I am a bit of a perfectionalist; and with the couple of "issues" that I identified, I just had to try and resolve them. What this has taught me though is, when I do purchase one myself, I shall spend to obtain a more reputable and quality brand (doing research on the forums first to find which one other owners can root/mod etc.). One from a company that provides better support too! I guess I just love being in total control of my products- it brings great piece-of-mind. I also appreciate your suggestions for other tabs. It's always nice to know what the more professional users would opt for.

Thank you again for all of your insights.

Gerry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones