Flashlight Apps that Use Camera Flash?

Last Updated:

1. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

What do people think of the apps that make the camera flash LEDs light up for use as a flashlight? They seem to work pretty well as a light, but if it were okay for the phone you would think that the function would be built in. If all it's likely to ruin is the flash, I probably don't care, because I seldom take pictures. But I would like to know what others think.

Advertisement
  2. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

the flash is just a couple of LEDs - they could be turned on for years and not care, so what's a couple of minutes here and there?
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

Quickaudi hit the nail on the head right thurr. Leds are a different lighting technology than say...Incandescent. Leds last so long without brightness going down it's ridiculous. That's why it's basically the future technology for electronics. So using it as a flashlight? Just fine. I have dedicated LED flashlights i use all the time and they've last years. Use the camera flash as long as you want

Quote from wiki: "Many of the LEDs made in the 1970s and 1980s are still in service today. Typical lifetimes quoted are 25,000 to 100,000 hours"

Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

5. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Thank you! That's what was making me worry the most. That it wasn't just included with the phone.
  6. VPCTech

VPCTech New Member

Had to throw in my 2 cents... TESLA LED is a great flashlight app. Simple, functional, small.
  7. buckyweet

buckyweet Active Member

I've been happy with Color Flashlight
  8. silverfang77

silverfang77 Well-Known Member

I use Droid Light for that purpose.
  9. new666uk

new666uk New Member

Whats the deal with torch apps needing to use the camera to take pictures? Is it just that this permission is integral to using the flash? Hate the way apps need to invade my privacy in order to 'work'