FlashLight that uses Camera Flash

Last Updated:

1. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

woot....ok..got the flash to come on

Advertisement
  2. drpull

drpull Member

Nice! Yeah, i've got some catching up to do obviously, but i'm sure it won't be that hard. Are you basically doing the whole make it autofocus thing?
  3. eclipsed4utoo

yeah....I am at the same point as Chet. I can get it to keep autofocusing but there is a pause between each one....so it's kinda like a strobe light.
  4. drpull

drpull Member

Interesting. Sounds like we'll have to wait and see what the December 11th update is going to include. Hopefully they'll toss in the torch and red eye modes.
  5. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

What mechanism are you using to get continuous auto-focusing? I have tried two.
  6. eclipsed4utoo

with a while loop. inside of it, I do the autoFocus method.

This is done in a background thread.

I can get it down to about 1 second or a little less, but there's still that "off" period that makes it a strobe light.

Also, if I don't show the Preview on the screen, the flash doesn't come on. Don't know how to get around that.
  7. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

autoFocus is only valid after startPreview() has been called. However, I have found that you can call stopPreview() immediately after startPreview(). You never see the preview and the flash still works. :)
  8. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

I am getting better results from putting an autoFocus call in the onAutoFocus callback.
  9. eclipsed4utoo

I had it there, but the "off" period was still pretty long. I was able to get the "off" period to be shorter with the background thread.
  10. eclipsed4utoo

awesome...so that part is fixed now. so I guess we are at the same point. Figuring out the "off" period between the flashes.
  11. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

hum... so how often are you calling autofocus in your background thread? infinite loop or a timer? I was running a timer before and was getting more off period. I believe the timer's run method is executed in its own thread.
  12. eclipsed4utoo

infinite until a button is clicked. the while loop checks a public variable for the class. if that variable is true, it continues to call the autoFocus(). so when the button is clicked, I just set that value to false, and it stops.
  13. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Got it working straight-up! no auto focusing tricks! :D

more to come...
  14. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member

<waiting>
  15. xtremely4

xtremely4 Member

Sweet...anxiously awaiting!!!:D
  16. drumcrazy

drumcrazy Active Member

I'm excited :)
  17. hounddoglgs

hounddoglgs Member

DroidLight appears to have been removed for some reason.
  18. eclipsed4utoo

Is it simply a combination of the camera settings?
  19. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

No. Nothing to do with the camera. This is the direct "turn it on" command we were looking for.
  20. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Ok, so who would like to try it out? I am willing to email my test .apk if someone wants to test it. You will have to enable installing apps from "Unknown Sources".
  21. allen2288

allen2288 Member

Hello Chet,
    Thanks for working on this project, I'm about to start tackling progging on android soon. I am willing to beta this for you. If interested...

Thanks.
  22. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member

Ill test as well. Sublimnl at yahoo dot com
  23. murphy.ms at gmail dot com
  24. 4lph4num3r1c

4lph4num3r1c Well-Known Member

Me too please. I pm'd you me email. Thanks!
  25. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

androidforums
    at
    416bc
    com

Yes that's the actual email. It's a catch all.