Flickr account is a major cause of bad battery lifeTips

Last Updated:

1. bluehaze013

bluehaze013 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just a headsup for anyone complaining about battery life, my EVO was great for the first couple of days made it through 12 hours easily with all the bells and whistles going and fairly heavy use then a couple nights ago I setup a flickr account and the next day my EVO was eating battery like crazy it was nearly dead at around 7 and a half hours with very little use.

Did some searching around and found setting up a flickr account on the phone seems to conflict with the Calendar app and will cause the EVO to go into a permanent partial wake meaning even though your screen is off the phone is still running everything else as if the screen were on.

Theres a simple fix, go to settings>accounts and sync, select flickr then select remove account on the bottom of the screen. Reboot the phone and enjoy your renewed battery life.

Advertisement
    neodorian and JaeBaer like this.
  2. KristenI

KristenI Member

I have my flickr acct enabled and it hasnt affected my battery life at all.

3. bluehaze013

There is a multitude of people that have verified this as a bug and it has been resolved after removing flickr account. If you want to check go to your dialer punch in *#*#4636#*#* go to battery history change the top selection to partial wake usage and if you have Calendar at the top with a big blue bar you are affected by this issue.

Good Luck.

4. jkr4577

jkr4577 Well-Known Member

@bluehaze013 do you have a link that further discusses this?

5. hypn0toad

hypn0toad Member

wow. apparently i was afflicted by this too. this is a big issue.

side note- where did you read about this? another forum? or just another part of this forum? i'm trying to find places (other than just this one) to keep with evo / android information

6. bluehaze013

7. ragebot

ragebot Well-Known Member

I would like to see more stuff about the flickr issue.

8. cougar618

cougar618 Member

This was also an issue on the HTC Incredible. For more battery tips, you should visit that sub-forum.

9. dmystic1

dmystic1 Well-Known Member

I was one of those guys that posted on xda. I had the 100% wake issue. I removed Flickr account, which I don't use anyway, and now battery life is much improved for me.

10. toddpedersen

toddpedersen Well-Known Member

FYI, Marketplace has an app called Network (And It Is Free!) that takes you to the same screen as the *#*#4636#*#* phone pad command does. Much Faster. This is a huge battery saver!

11. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

I did both - the "Network" app does not take you to the same place.

12. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

I didn't have an issue with calendar being up top with a huge blue bar, but I removed my flickr account anyways. I didn't use anything it synced, and I don't really care to get it synced lol. I'll just go to the webpage if I want to check.

13. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

I also did this suggestion - will report back if I notice anything significant.

14. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

There really should be a sticky that allows everyone to report app's with bad management issues. Could be very helpful to have them all in one place.

15. jkr4577

jkr4577 Well-Known Member

I agree. Changed this setting and now the calendar is not causing partial wake 100. However can't say that ive noticed significant increase in battery life.

16. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Thank you! I didn't notice awful battery life but this is what I love about communities like this. Some bug pops up and within a day or so you've got someone who finds it and gives a workaround. I use Flickr but I don't need it synced with my calendar.

My battery thanks you!

17. bluehaze013

Since removing my Flickr account:

[​IMG]

18. mrkauffman

mrkauffman Member

2 questions,

after going to that screen calendar shows up second with a blue bar but not full, maybe a quarter or a fifth full of blue.

second, how do i remove my flikr account, i never use it from my phone.

19. bluehaze013

If the bar isn't full then your not affected, likely because you don't have a Flickr account on your EVO. If you do it will show up under settings>accounts and sync

20. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

I use stock Evo and have a flickr account set up, sync'ing and do not see this issue when looking at that screen at all. In fact Calendar is 3rd in my list with a tiny sliver of blue, the main culprit is the android system (to be expected) with about 1/3 of the bar blue.

I will say this however, my flickr account is basically inactive... there are pictures there but I've not updated it in AGES, and I only have about 2 other's I'm linked to whom also have not updated... so perhaps FlickR usage + settings is the cause?

Either way, my Stock Evo does not have this issue, so it's not FlickR settings alone that's the cause.

21. toddpedersen

toddpedersen Well-Known Member

That's interesting, because my "Network" install, by author Phillipp Mangelow, when accessed, takes me to the exact same screen I get to when I input hte codes via the dial pad.