Flight Mode and Bedside Mode

Last Updated:

1. Phrozenbuns

Phrozenbuns New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,
    I am a complete newbie here, :eek: so please accept my apologies if this question has been asked previously...
    I have just migrated from a BB Bold to an HTC Desire, and this is my question:
    In the BB Bold, one of the functions it had was that you could switch your phone to the 'Bedside mode', which would put the phone into a 'Sleep' mode and it would not allow any calls or messages to be delivered until the phone was taken out of the Bedside mode, and then you could see your messages that have been queued and waiting to be delivered.

In the Desire, does the 'Flight' mode carry out the same function or not?
    If not, is there another function that can put the Desire into sleep mode, keep the Alarm function active, and queue the messages for delivery when the phone is taken out of the Flight or Sleep mode?

All comments will be appreciated.:D
    Thanks and best regards.

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

airplane mode turns off all radio functions.

I think what you want isnt actually available on the desire, but you can acheive a similar effect by putting it in silent mode and turning off apn over night using the standard settings widgets or something like 'extended controls' app

that way you should only lose about 4-5% battery over night without turning the phone off, that way your alarms should still go off. (make sure your not killing the alarm with a task killer.)

Phrozenbuns likes this.
  3. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

Flight mode basically turns off any connections - phone calls, data, text/mms, wifi and bluetooth, while enabling you to still use the other features of the phone. You could switch on flight mode knowing that you will still have your alarm go off. Any emails/missed calls etc would be received shortly after turning the phone back on.

Phrozenbuns likes this.
  4. Phrozenbuns

Phrozenbuns New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everybody. Your replies are appreciated.

5. quibble

quibble Member

... and if it is too much trouble changing those settings by hand, download "Tasker" from the market place.

You can automate all sorts of things based on an event (such as location, time of day, activating a programme..... etc etc.)

6. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I'm currently using a combination of Timeriffic & APNDroid to automatically turn down ringer volume to 20% and notification volume off,vibration off , wifi off & the apn off at 23:00 and all back on 07:00. This way I don't get woken up by texts or reminders but still get calls at a lower volume just in case. Its really easy to set up and free. This way works for me but you could use it to automate switching it into airplane mode at night and then back to normal in the morning.

7. ThinkingDroid

ThinkingDroid Active Member